"Work at Home" sounds a lot easier than it is turning out to be.I like work. Or I should say, I like my job. I like going there for the mere 4hours per day, 2 days per week that I am there. And when I'm there, I'm there. I like being there, I'm focussed on the work, and I'm loving it.
I like being at home too. I love being with my kids, taking the time to run, getting stuff done like dishes and laundry (well, I don't really like it, but it feels good to get that stuff done and to know that the house is orderly and clean...ish).
The problem is, I'm all gung-ho when I'm at the office, but as soon as I get home, *poof*, I don't want to bother...because home-stuff is right in front of me - the dishes that need washing, the sticky spots on the floor that need wiping, the grocery list that needs tweaking...and on and on. The kids need attention, supper isn't making itself, Berry Boy has skating lessons, we all have Small Group, and suddenly the 20hrs/week of work that I want to put in are vanishing before my eyes.
I'm just not sure how to reconcile my desire for "work" with my desire for "home". They seem to be at odds with each other.
I'm getting frustrated.
5 comments:
I can sure see how it would be difficult to be really focused at home. 20 hrs is actually quite a bit when you break it up into 5 days... 4 hours each day must feel a lot longer than it actually is with so many demands at your beck and call. I wonder how Lyn is doing at it... at first she was quite overwhelmed too... might be worth a call to find out if she's got some good tips. With such an accomodating employer, it's worth trying different options to find a happy solution.
I think you will end up having to treat work like I treat school. As a priority over dishes and cleaning. I'm planning on getting those schedule posts up (I'll go find the next one when I leave here) for you. We do school 4-5 hours a day, so it is comparable. Maybe something in my stuff will give you some ideas and help... hope so! One thing I'm finding, going to bed earlier and getting up on the earlier side in the morning (6:30-7:00 ish, seems to make a COLLOSSAL difference in my day. For some reason I can get twice as much done with half the effort. I know I know... nights are good, mornings bad... but I think I am turning that on it's ear.
k, so I got up the first 3 posts on how I schedule, I will get the other 3 up for you after the retreat (the ones that deal with alternate schedules and fitting in big projects). Hopefully something here will give you some ideas to set up and settle into a structure that works for you. Really sad you are not coming this weekend. I hope you can make it next time. You will be missed.
Ahhhh yes. I understand the dilemma. I have that issue with my schooling. You need a Plan. And a list. And a really good pencil. Great pencils can seriously make or break the Plan.
lol - I love really great pencils. and pens. I bought the perfect pen, and it is making ALL the difference ;)
Post a Comment