Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SA (Sweaters Anonymous)

I have sweater issues.
There, I said it. I think the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem right?

I have been to the Gap no less than 3 times in the last 5 days. Which is remarkable, because I can't remember the last time I actually made it to that particular mall...in fact I can't remember the last time I didn't buy clothes at the same place I buy my groceries, but I digress.

I have a wonderful friend who gave me a 30% coupon for the Gap. The Gap is my favourite clothing store the way that Starbucks is my favourite coffee place. So you know that has to be something.
Anyway, I went out with said friend on Friday night and picked out a wonderful, camel brown turtleneck sweater like this:

And I looked that good in it *snort*. It's gorgeous, and I loved it. Until I got it home, admired it, and found that the neckline was unravelling.

So back to the Gap I went to exchange my lovely sweater...except there were no more in that color in my size. *sigh* So I upgraded to the cardigan sweater that I'd been eyeing the last time...

Not camel brown, but a lovely versatile grey. And I was thrilled...until I got home and tried it on again, and realised that it was too big. It looked baggy, not quite the look I was going for.

So back to the Gap I trotted to exchange this lovely grey cardigan for another lovely grey cardigan one size smaller. Which they didn't have. But they did have the smaller size in the lovely camel brown...

It's gorgeous, it fits well, it's brown (I love brown).

Only now, back at the ranch (so to speak) I am trying it on again and now I'm worried that it hits me in the wrong place on the hip and accentuates a width that I was attempting to de-accentuate (if that's a word?)...I just can't win. What I need is a clothing consultant, really. Or an honest friend...or limitless cash, so that it wouldn't matter if I didn't love the sweater to death (because these days when I shop at the Gap, it has to be worth it and I need to really really love it)...someone come to my house and help me before I have to return yet another sweater

10 comments:

Chris said...

I swear, sister, if you just sweater shopped at Peavey Mart like yours truly, you really wouldn't be in such a quandry. After all, for $10, it's almost a wear once and toss! (Though I'd never do that.)

However, you always walk out looking like a gap ad, whereas said yours truly just walks out. ha ha. Whatever you're agonizing over seems to work out in the end. Gorgeous... just gorgeous. If you need to, I'd come over and figure it out with a coffee in hand.

ps.-had a blast today... next time let's do it without the colds.

Berry Girl said...

check that - no colds (lol) what a snotty coughing mess we all were ;) Still, such fun. I may need to come over (or have you come here) to *evaluate* the new(est) sweater (rolling eyes here - at myself)before I can wear it to work, or out...or anywhere besides the bathroom (where the biggest mirror is...)

Unknown said...

My advice? Wear it. Love it. And know that you are loved. But then I'm no fashion elitist. I don't even see clothes. I mean. I see them, but I don't remember them. I remember eyes and expressions, and words. I hope noone is judging me by fashion or hips (sigh).

Chris said...

thats why we love you, pchick... we actually mentioned that's one thing we love about you as we were cavorting about. Now bgirl... if you haven't got this last sweater on the next time we see you, there's going to be trouble.

Chris said...

(and as I reread pchick's comment, I'm picturing her as the Emperor who sees no clothes... and here's a snort... :D )

Unknown said...

aw thanks. I think. LOL! I hope it wasn't the padded hips you were referring to *wink*. and yeah, right after writing "I don't see clothes" I got the same funny kick out of it's implication.... =D

Sometimes I seriously question whether I shouldn't care more (about outward appearances). I surely would love to be a size 10 again (which is about as good as it gets for this big boned body o' mine). And I know I have heart issues that are impeding that. But that's what it boils down to for me. Heart issues. God doesn't look on the outward appearance, He looks on the heart, so if I look to the heart, and seek to improve the condition of THAT appendage (if you will), all the rest will be added unto me.

Does that make any sense at all?

Berry Girl said...

I hate it when you're right (lol) and you totally are. It's not about the outside. I struggle with being comfortable with what's on my outside though - wish I had more of your attitude. And really, I just don't know about this stupid sweater (beats head into desk)

Unknown said...

ah, your clothing angst does become you. *wink*. You crack me up. What does Berry Guy think? or is he afraid to say :P

Berry Girl said...

haha. Berry Guy thought that the first cardigan (which was too big) looked like something an old person would wear. mmhmmm. thanks for that. So going a size down helped that little problem, but I still don't know - it hits me right where my thighs are the widest...and the tie, I'm just not sure...I think I need professional help.

Suzy said...

Oh Berry Girl. I loooove those sweet cardigans as well, but they have an uncanny way of tugging at my backside. Even if the sweater itself is huge, the material somehow acts like velcro the second it comes into contact with It. Baby Got Back.

I am NOT a clothing expert. You must know that by now. I read something somewhere (probably the Real Simple magazine) that people with junk in their trunks need to make sure the tops they wear do NOT end at the widest spot on their fannies. Either go past 'em, or they need to be shorter.

The End.