Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Ridiculously Good Recipes

I would like to present to you, the best (in my humble opinion) shortbread cookies ever (besides the Toblerone ones, obviously).
Super simple, very easy to make, and melt-in-your-mouth goodness that is best savoured with a hot cup of fresh brewed coffee or latte (but aren't most dessert-type things best savoured with coffee?)

You will need:

1/2 C Cornstarch
1/2 C Icing Sugar
1 C Flour
1 C Butter (no substitutes here - go for the good stuff)

Sift together the cornstarch, icing sugar, and flour. Have butter at room temperature.
Cream the butter slightly before adding the rest of the ingredients - the butter should be quite soft.
Mix all together in a mixmaster.
Make the dough into small balls, about 1" - the recipe says to flatten slightly with a fork, but I find this impossible to do so I just leave them as balls - you could flatten them slightly in your hand as you're rolling them.
Place on parchment paper (or, if your cookie sheets are in better shape than mine, on ungreased cookie sheets).
Bake @300 for 20-25 minutes

If the dough is hard to work with because it's too soft, put it in the fridge for half an hour to firm it up. In fact, having just made these, you will pretty much have to chill the dough a bit as it is quite soft - it will be very light and fluffy in texture, so a bit of time in the fridge is best for handling it.
And then you will have these...

What they lack in appearance, they more than make up for in texture and taste. Absolutely melt-in-your-mouth. mmmmmmm.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love shortbread cookies. So simple and scrumptious, which are two things I'm all over in the baking department. Now to replenish my confectioner sugar as I used it up yesterday on the fritters! Can't wait to try your recipes this year. So far the only real "keeper" that I have done year after year has been butter tarts, and the other stuff I have tried "this and that" and the next year a different "this and that" but nothing has stuck that I have wanted to make yearly tradition. Which sucks, cause I'm all about yearly traditions.

Is B-boy home today? If you want you can bring him over for some boy play so you can get a nap in with B-Baby. Chris' littlest man is here today so we have some fun planned.

Unknown said...

oops. subbing to comments.

Amydeanne said...

ooo sounds excellent! i was just going to dig out a recipe to start some! so thanks for saving me the trouble!

Glad you stopped over to my blog for a visit! your little berry boy is so cute! :)

Berry Girl said...

Thanks Amy!