Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The (notso)Great Soother Wean, and Other Stressful Experiences...


Berry Baby 1 -- Berry Girl 0

So I have decided that the best day to wean your baby's soother is NOT the day before your Kindergartener starts his first full day of Kindergarten, you go back to work part time and you leave your baby for the first time with his Granny.
For sure, NOT the best time to create stress.
I didn't really clue into that until 11pm last night, after a whole day of soother "training", after we fought with Berry Baby for 3 hours off an on after bedtime, after Berry Guy had driven Berry Baby around the "neighbourhood", and after our third inconsolable nightwaking in 3 hours.
That was the point at which Berry Guy and I decided that Berry Baby could have that bloody soother until he was 4. Or so.
And a whole day went down the drain as I popped that soother into Berry Baby's mouth and he promptly lay back down and fell asleep.
Certainly not "begin as you mean to go on", as the Babywhisperer would say...

So now that we have all recovered, more or less, from THAT, I tore myself away from Berry Boy as he began his first full day of Kindergarten - he, of course, was having no trouble. After continuously asking if it was "now" time to go, I told him we would leave once I was done my makeup and he said "ok, I'll just go wait in the car" (we still had at least 5min of getting ready left to do)...can you say eager?

Then I had to tear myself away from Berry Baby at Granny's house - easier said than done really, but I made it to work on time (miraculously).

I am now going to retrieve my precious boy from school and treat him to some ice cream (and myself) and enjoy being together with my special guys.

At least until they whine/cry/won't go to sleep/or generally misbehave. In which case I'll look forward to going back to work on Thursday...

4 comments:

Chris said...

oh yikes. Yeah.. in retrospect, we moms don't always find the best timing.

I feel like telling you to lay off the wee one... but it's cuz I loved having the portable security, and that was my allowable crutch for a while. Don't feel guilty. It's not worth the effort.

Hope your time at work was a pleasant splash back in, and that the Lions provided good fodder. I had hoped to see you at school, but luck was not with us.

Berry Girl said...

actually, I saw you and your boys biking past just after Maxine waved at me, but you were too busy looking at her to notice me waving frantically at you :)
I'd totally lay of the wee one if he'd just SLEEP, or if he'd replug the bloody thing on his own at night and not require our intervention every 2hours or so.
needless to say, I think we're needing a new strategy :)
Or better ear plugs.

Unknown said...

oh dear. No advice here. Tough stuff. I definitely wouldn't be getting up to plug the soother. If I chose to plug the soother, baby would be sleeping right next to my side of the bed. Otherwise.... ear plugs are sounding good.

Glad to hear you got through the day, I was praying for you, your ice cream date sounds perkfect. You are a super cool mom.

Chris said...

ha ha ha... I was desperately squinting at this suspicious grey car, thinking it might be yours, but not willing to walk way over and find it was not you...

Next time honk.