Friday, July 4, 2008

When your words come back to haunt you...


This was my unfortunate conversation with Berry Boy yesterday (he was "crying" over something that was not worth crying over):

Me: stop crying right now
BB: I can't
Me: that's enough crying (threaten discipline)

BB: but I like to cry

Me: then I can give you something to really cry about (how "Mom" is that?)

BB: well crying is fun for me
(??? this was a new one - I had to think about this for a minute)

Me: (after some serious deliberation, I decide to try a new tactic) you know, God tells us in the Bible that we should have a happy heart.

BB: (clearly exasperated with me) I know, it was in the kid's story (at church)

Me: (hadn't realised that he remembered that) Yes, well, it makes God happy when we have a happy heart, not when we try to make ourselves cry.

BB: (deliberates on this for a moment) Well Mom (I can sense that I'm going to be in trouble here) YOU didn't have a happy heart yesterday when we were downstairs and you were mad and you gave me a spanking - THAT wasn't having a happy heart. (I am now wishing I had just sent him to his room...)

Me: well, yes, that's true (trying to salvage the POINT of this conversation) Sometimes it's hard to have a happy heart, isn't it?

BB: (nodding enthusiastically)

Me: but God still wants us to do our best and to try to have a happy heart

BB: agrees, and begins listing other times when I have not had a happy heart, and how the kitty doesn't have a happy heart because it's meowing, and when it meows that means it's sad, so it doesn't have a happy heart...at least I know that he's gotten the point.
next time I'm just sending him to his room

2 comments:

Chris said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha ha ha ha! Im just picturing the whole thing playing out in my head. So glad your blog is keeping record of this!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Hi, found a link to your blog through Chris:) Enjoy this entry, very very sweet.