Sunday, December 7, 2008

Ridiculously Good Recipes

226335_star_3

Has it become obvious yet that I really really really love Christmas baking?

I’m going to throw out an easy cookie recipe now as a reprieve from the Cutout Cookie recipe I posted last time.  And because the next recipe that I post will be the major time consumer (but OH, so so so worth the effort).

So here you go:

Chocolate Candy-Cane Cookies

1 pkg. (250 g) Brick Cream Cheese, softened

3/4 cup  butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 tsp.  vanilla

2-1/2 cups flour

1/2 tsp.  baking soda

4 squares Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted

1 pkg.  (6 squares) White Chocolate

12 hard peppermint candies, crushed

Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Add flour and baking soda; mix well. Blend in semi-sweet chocolate.

Shape scant tablespoonfuls of dough into balls; roll each into 3-inch-long rope. Place, 2 inches apart, on baking sheets, bending top of each slightly to resemble a candy cane.

Bake @350 10 to 12 min. or until lightly browned; cool 5 min. on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.

Microwave white chocolate until melted and smooth – I go 1min on high, stir, then another 30seconds until it’s all melted.  I then spoon the melted chocolate into a ziploc freezer bag and seal it.  Then I cut a small (really small) corner off the bottom of the bag, and drizzle the chocolate over cookies. Sprinkle with crushed candies. Let stand until chocolate is firm.

Now.  I never have hard peppermint candies on hand.  I do, however, have candy canes that Berry Boy made me buy back when he was 3, because he thought he really really liked them (he didn’t).  So what I do with these is crush up 2 candy canes in a ziploc bag (I give it a few good whacks with my rolling pin) and I garnish the cookies with that.

And you will have these:

100_3922

100_3923

They look great, and they’re easy.  Plus, if you’re less of a kitchen nazi than me, your kids will love helping with these – they can roll out the candy canes in their hands and you can shape them on the cookie sheet.

If these don’t sound easy, then consider this: I started these cookies at 5pm, and it is now 6:30.  They are the easiest thing to decorate as all you have to do is squeeze melted chocolate all over them, and not with any great precision.

Plus, they have cream cheese.

Need I say more.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

THIS one sounds like a keeper. And, you're right - it has to be good with the cream cheese in it! I have all the ingredients so I may give these a try later today. Thanks!

Blessings!

Chris said...

Just a question... do you ever post recipes without creamcheese? Just wondering. :) These do look like they are fun to make with kids.

Berry Girl said...

hahaha - no, not really. what would be the point?
the next one will be cream-cheese free, but it redeems itself by having cream in the cookie mixture and buttercream icing to garnish (*drool*)

Dianne said...

mmm... Tried these today too. Amazing!