This stinker Bottle Addict is goin’ down
Because Momma ain’t getting up 50 bazillion times per night anymore to give him his bottle every time he wakes up
Your day of reckoning is here little man. And you can give me that cheeky smile all you like.
The gloves are still comin’ off.
Game on.
(all advice and encouragement welcome)
11 comments:
Okay, so this is what I did: I would slowly replace the milk in the bottles with water until they ended up entirely water, and then they miraculously wouldn't wake up anymore. Katie still takes her bottle of water to bed, but, she doesn't suck on it all night long. Just a sippy sip sip before she nods off, and then that's it. Good luck!
interesting. I may try that. So far it took me an hour to get him down for his nap, but I won (HA.)
I don't mind the bottle itself...it's just that he now cannot go to sleep without it. So he has forgotten how to self-soothe, and when he wakes (frequently) at night I am "required" to fetch more milk for his blasted bottle.
It reminds me of the soother.
Really, the bottle has become the soother.
And it's my own fault, because it was easier to put him down WITH the bottle at night. He went to sleep so nicely. And I knew I was creating a bad habit...darn it.
I hate being responsible for this stuff...
Ditto what Suzy says. It will work but it will take a little time and patience.
Stay strong and don't give in!
Blessings!
or maybe try not offering the bottle at all during the day... go hardcore on a sippy cup... you may become severely irritable, but I can deal with you.
How did last night go?
ok,so last night was not too bad. You know you have a problem, by the way, when you go to settle your 15month old in his crib and he automatically reaches his arms up...NOT for you, but to receive his bottle *sigh*
So when he wouldn't settle IN his crib (which means he was throwing a freaking fit with thrashing legs and all) then I took him out and snuggled him in the rocker, and if that didn't work then I let him have some of his milk, but not in his crib.
So I had to do all of that around 10pm, and then not again until 3:30am. So that was already a HUGE improvement (over the every hour before midnight and then 3 times after midnight that we had the night before...)
The little bit of milk I gave him at 3:30am was diluted (thank you Suzy) with water (mwaahahaha) and if I have to give him some again tonight it will be diluted even more.
But I refuse to give him his bottle in his crib, and I'm only giving it as a last resort after bedtime.
Oh man I remember these days. Although mine took a pacifer so that was easier..I just gave them that instead of a pacifer.
I also gave them a bottle but I would let them have a smaller bottle every time like the first night I would offer 6oz if they were getting 8oz then the 2nd night I did 4oz then the 3rd 2oz until they just didn't need it anymore.
But girl your the MOM here you have to do what YOU think is best!
Good luck..and press on weary soldier this too shall pass!
Joy
Nice work. And if your motivation starts to wane, just ask me how many fillings my children have had because of milk bottles. Ack. And I even b-fed them until they were almost TWO! Why on EARTH would I have given them bottles? Sheesh. What us mothers do in our sleep-deprived state I tell ya.
I was hardcore on one of my kiddoes and took the bottle away, well, the breast...and it took 3 nights for her to get over the nighttime feedings...but then the battle was over...once she knew we were resolved...the battle was finished...but then, so were we...smile...
yes, that's what I've read. 3 days to break a habit with the little ones, a bit more if it's really entrenched. We had to do this already with the soother - he just wouldn't pick it up on his own, even when I had 8 of them in his crib (not kidding) so we had to ditch it. That was tough. This seems to be going a bit better, as I don't begrudge him the bottle entirely, just at all hours of the night (lol)
kids can be such stinkers ;)
Ahhhh, but that smile he has! Such a sweetie. Hard to say no to. Not that you should give in! But big hurrah for you to overcome his charms.
Post a Comment