Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ridiculously Good Recipes

On nights like tonight, when I haven't really *thought* about what I'm going to make for supper, I am SUPREMELY thankful for my Campbells Soup recipe book. Grab a can of soup, a few extra things, and voila, a meal.
This is the one I made tonight - it's a favorite:

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

1can Mushroom soup
3/4C Salsa (it actually calls for Pace Picante sauce, which I think is a bit different, but I use salsa and then eliminate the diced tomatoes...I'm all about making it simpler...or lazier...)

3/4C Sour Cream
1Tbsp Chili Powder (tonight I was out of Chili powder and
Chris helpfully advised me to use Paprika - but I only used 1 1/2tsp and it was plenty)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2cups)
3C cubed cooked chicken or turkey
12 corn tortillas (6") cut into 1" pieces (I use 4 flour tortillas)
1C grated Cheddar (I always say, if a little cheese is good, more is better...so I usually heap it on)

Now, the recipe says to do this in layers, but I can't really be bothered to do that, so...mix the soup, salsa, sour cream and chili powder together, then mix in the chicken and tortillas (and tomatoes if you're using them).
Dump it into a 9x13 dish.
Top liberally with grated cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 for 40min or until hot (usually, half an hour is plenty)

Serve it with a salad, or a hot veggie, or baked potatoes...whatever. We had it with "coren" because it's BBoy's favorite.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Chris said...

mmm... I was hoping you would post the recipe. I'll be making this very soon. (did you add any cayenne?)

Berry Girl said...

no Cayenne, just the paprika and it was plenty spicy enough.
Don't forget to be liberal with the cheese ;)

Mac an Rothaich said...

Sounds great and easy, gonna have to try!