Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ridiculously Good Recipes


Have I mentioned already how much I love Fall? Have I mentioned it lately? Seriously my favorite season.
Here's a hearty (and super easy) comfort stew that is always a hit around here:

Chicken Stew

4 Medium Potatoes, cut bite size. (or, if you're lazy like me and don't like to peel potatoes, pick up a bag of those lovely baby potatoes at Costco and just rinse and quarter them)
4 Medium Carrots, cut bite size (again, if you're lazy like me, chop up some baby carrots)
1 1/4C Chopped Onion (a hearty helping of dried onion flakes works well too)
6 Boneless Skinlesss chicken thighs

2C Hot water
1Tbsp Chicken Bouillon powder
1tsp Salt
1/4tsp Pepper
1/4tsp Ground Thyme
1/2tsp Liquid Gravy Browner (optional - I've never used it)


Layer the potatoes, carrots and onion in your slow cooker. Lay the chicken thighs over top - now, you could cut them up (the thighs), but I always leave them whole. Less mess, and they break up beautifully anyway on their own.

Stir the next 6 ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 9-10hrs or on high for 4-5hrs

10min before you want to eat, shake together some flour and water and pour it in to the pot to thicken the juice slightly. (say, 1-2Tbsps of flour and 1/4C of water)


Pair this with those wonderful Buttermilk Biscuits I posted earlier and you have a great Fall comfort meal. This one is actually ideal for Sunday Lunch - just throw everything together by 8am and when you get home from church your house smells wonderful and you have a meal already waiting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yum. sounds great for days like this.