Friday, October 10, 2008

Got Things To Do...

I love making lists. I'm sure I've said it before. I love writing out the list, seeing what I need to do/buy/remember, and the satisfaction of checking things off the list when they've been done. It's so....satisfying. I can point to the list at the end of the day and say "see, this is what I got done today" (because let's face it, when we're at home with our kids, it often feels like we got NOTHING done that day).

So, you can imagine my excitement when I found a new tool on my "Google Desktop" sidebar. I found a "To Do" gadget! I can type out a task and it's there with a little check-box, and when I've done it I can click it to "check" it off and it will drop down to the bottom of my list all checked off. SO, I can see what I've done and what I've yet to do. Too great. I'm totally overusing it.

Anyway, today I have the rare pleasure of being at home with Berry Baby while Berry Boy is off at Kindergarten. And I have the rare urge to clean my house. I have to confess, the desire to clean my house is rare and fleeting so I try to grasp it while I can (and why then am I on the computer instead of cleaning? Coffee break.)

So I have a checklist going for today (and it keeps getting added to) that includes cleaning my house as if I were having company. Because you never know...which reminds me, I should really do something with my bedhead and makeup since you really do never know when someone will pop over unannounced, which we want but are often unprepared for...But I digress.

Today I will "pick up the random pairs of socks" littering the living room and dining room. I will "get the mail". I will "pick up that thing in the middle of the floor" that I have been walking past for the last 3 days and not picking up. I will "clean the bathroom" (I hate cleaning the bathroom). I will "pick up the mail". I will "fold the laundry" that has been wrinkling on the laundryroom floor for the past week. I will "wipe up the various sticky spots on the floor". I will "get the mail" (Berry Guy has been "reminding" me to do this for 3 days...I keep forgetting). I will "gather toys" from all corners of the house and put them in their proper places. I will "wipe the smears off the fridge and stove". And I will not get discouraged by the fact that as soon as I do all these things, the three males that live here will manage to undo it within 6 hours.

Mostly, I will "smother Berry Baby with attention" because these days that I have him at home alone are few and just as fleeting as my desire to clean...I think I will let him help me fold last weeks laundry...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ha ha! I was so excited about the Google task bar too when I first found it, but somehow I didn't get as much satisfaction out of it as a good old fashioned pen and paper list. I *love* lists. Grocery lists, library "reserve this" lists, poetry lists, housecleaning lists, homeschooling lists, outdoor "to do" lists.... ahhhhhhhhhh, LOVE em. I wrote out three separate lists for P-Guy to take to the city just now, plus a to do list for me once school is done that includes picking the last of the corn, freezing a batch of tomatoes, covering my strawberries, boiling apples for jelly and apple butter, digging up my geraniums, baking and pureeing three pumpkins and tidying up some of the toy clutter around the yard.

If I get half of that done I'll be one happy camper! Happy productivity and snuggles... oh yeah, I need to do that and catch up three days of read alouds with the kids too.... eek.

Unknown said...

oh and what would I used for the kazillion bookmarks I need on any given day if I stopped making paper and pen lists???

Berry Girl said...

LOL - I do love paper and pen, but there's something about this toolbar thing that I LOVE. I don't know what it is - maybe it's that I spend enough time going back and forth to the computer that it makes sense to have it right there...and, it looks WAY tidier than my handwriting :)

Suzy said...

Hey Berry Girl! I'm looking forward to hearing about your first half marathon! I'm posting about my marathon experience later on today or tomorrow.

Berry Girl said...

LOL - I've actually run 3 half-marathons already. This year I'm just running 10ks, and I think I'll shoot for the Spring half marathon (2009). Can't wait to hear how your full went - been checking your blog fanatically ;)