
I'm always a little amazed at the things that I am taught by a four-year-old.
For example, there are certain common phrases and words which, when coming from a 4yr-old's mouth, just sound terrible...stupid, holy cow/man/crap, shutup, to name a few. And so we have established "rules" that we do not "say" those things. We don't call someone (or something)Stupid because that can be hurtful. Cows, men, and crap are not holy, only God is holy. And Shutup is just plain rude.
So that's all good, except you start to realise after you establish these guidelines just HOW OFTEN YOU say those things. sheesh. Stupid dog, that stupid TV is on the fritz, and I can't count the number of times I say "holy (insert word here)". So if it's not fine for my 4yr-old, then is it fine for me?
Thankfully, I have a 4yr-old who is more than willing to point out EACH time I slip up and say something that "we don't say around here".
The best lesson, though, came this morning over cereal.
In the last week, friends of ours lost two of their sons in a vehicle accident. Berry Guy had know the older boy very well and had been his youth sponsor at our church in the city for many years. Today is the funeral, and Berry Guy was dressed up so that he could go later in the day. His suit brought on discussion between Berry Boy and I about the funeral, and who had died, and how, and I was explaining that we are sad because we will miss the boys who died, but we are happy because they get to be with Jesus now. And Berry Boy said "no we aren't. we aren't missing them at all." And when I said that yes, actually, we will miss them, he said "no Mom, not a little bit because we will get to see them in heaven".
No wonder Jesus said "let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 19:14)
2 comments:
tears here. Totally the mindset I want to live in. He could come today. This is all a prologue to a beautiful "Neverending Story". Love it. Love that kid.
That is so sweet. Oh, to have that faith and trust as a continual mindset.
Yes, no wonder!
Post a Comment