I can admit it – I occasionally suffer from Superiority Complex. There are times when I nod politely but sneer a little mentally. I’m sorry, but it happens. I’m not always a good person.
Take childrearing. Before I had children, I was not one to voice my opinions on childrearing, since I had no experience to speak of. And after we had Berry Boy, I felt that I had some experience, but not enough to qualify me as an *expert* (since I’d only had one) and so I often kept my mouth shut then too. But in my head…oh ho, that was a different story.
Berry Boy was (in retrospect) a remarkable easy baby. At 7 weeks, he began sleeping from 11pm to 5am, fed and went back to sleep until 8 or 8:30am. He did that for a week, and then started skipping the 5am wakeup and snoozed right on through to 8ish.
He gave up the soother himself at one year, and the bottle followed shortly after. He didn’t bat an eye for either.
So when I would hear mothers talking about how their 2yr old was still not sleeping through the night and was still taking a bottle at 2am and still addicted to the soother, I would smile sympathetically but mentally shake my head at them. Obviously they were doing something wrong, the poor things.
If they would have just read “Secrets of the Baby Whisperer”, then they would know not to allow their child to sleep on them/sleep in their bed with them/feed them to sleep etc etc. They would know that they had to teach their child to fall asleep in his or her own bed, independently, and not with a “prop” like a swing or soother.
*cough cough*
Yes, and then we had Berry Baby.
He wouldn’t sleep in his cradle or his crib for longer than 1 hour, so he slept on my chest/in his carseat/in his swing where he would sleep for about 2.5hrs. I nursed him to sleep, rocked him to sleep, hooked him on his soother, and fed him if it was *time* or not, just to stop the crying. I weaned the soother, and it was replace by the bottle. I weaned the bottle, and it was replaced by the sippy cup. I sleep trained, with limited success.
And here we are, 4 months away from his 2nd birthday, and he has yet to sleep through the night on any kind of consistent basis. I almost can’t stand the irony of it.
How does that crow taste, you ask? Bitter. Very very bitter. With a side of humble pie, and no ice cream.
So to all the moms that I unintentionally sneered at (in my head, quietly, to myself), I apologize.
With great sincerity.
You weren’t wrong, you were surviving. And/or desperate. And/or sleep deprived.
All I have left to say is, I am daily thankful that God created a person who had the genius to discover the coffee bean, and that if said coffee bean is roasted to perfection, ground up and brewed with hot water, it will make a magical drink with the power to pull an exhausted mother out of her bed to tend to her overly energetic children.
6 comments:
Ah, sweet repentance. Feels even a teeny bit better than the decadence of the brew. (either- ;)
I'm not a good person either. Likely for my inability to cope with crises, God has graced me with two healthy, wonderful boys. In His infinite mercy, He brought me through the sleepless Evan, the Kyle-induced-nipple-trauma and the abhorrent, hellish potty-training days of Evan. It was all Him.
Now if we can remember the complexity and all-encompassingness of His grace as we meet other parents with big challenges, we will support them with love, understanding and compassion. And we will bring them copious amounts of really great coffee.
Mmm yes, I totally relate. You wrote it very well.
you're awesome. SO awesome. I haven't met your match yet in ability to swallow humble pie with absolute grace, finesse and humor. As for me, it still gets stuck in my throat =D
I can relate a tiny bit. There was a time, when Elizabeth cried and cried for hours at a time, that I had her swinging in her swing ALL NIGHT long.
The Baby Whisperer woman made me so mad sometimes, I would throw the book on the floor and yell,
"Lady, if you weren't already dead I would kill you!!"
I'm not a good person, either.
lol Tracey - When BBaby was about 2 months I was in the mall with a friend and I had just picked up "The Babywhisperer Solves All Your Problems". She commented that it was a pretty big book, and I said "yes, well, I have A LOT of problems to solve..."
I felt like you about "Babywise". I actually threw that book across the room...
I can so relate. Our first, our son, was a "by the book" kid. If the baby books said the milestone would happen at noon at five weeks and three days... well, then that's just when "it" happened with him. He slept through the night at five weeks, took naps 'til he went to kindergarten, weaned from the bottle on his own and threw his own pacifier away when it was time.
Our second, our daughter...
Umm... not so much. She had night and day reversed for mmmooonnnttthhhsss. (While I had her two-year-old bother to deal with, too!) She was collicky and cried. And cried. Alot.
We've always joked that if she had been our first, she might have been our last! Ha!
Now, to the present...
Some of that baby stubbornness has created a strong-minded, determined, not swayed by the crowd, Jesus-loving teenaged girl.
Hang on mama... there will be payoff for this time! Even if you have to wait 'til he has kids of his own and you watch him dealing with his own parenting issues.
Until then... put on a pot of coffee, drink up and pray for sanity and wisdom!!!
Be blessed, friend!
Post a Comment