Well, the Saskatoon Berries are (finally) in full bloom. All 20 acres of them.
20 acres starts to feel like a lot after the second day of sorting.
The crab apple tree is blossoming too, and the fragrance is unbelievable.
When the orchard is in bloom, it can only mean one thing (well, really, it means several things, most of which are work, but for the purpose of this post, it can only mean one thing…)
PARTY!
This is the time of year when we invite around 60 of our closest friends, and all their kids, and we have a BBQ to celebrate yet another year of God’s blessing on us.
So we decorate
and we light the fire in the fire pit
We eat tons of food, and then we sit on the deck sipping coffee
and we snuggle other people’s babies
and we try to keep warm because although it’s June, we are required to wrap up in fleecy blankets and wear warm jackets.
The kids run amok and play soccer
and jump on our decrepit trampoline
and play on the toys
while the adults visit
and tell really good stories
and laugh
and stand around the fire
trying to keep warm
because it’s June, and yet it really really isn’t.
Of course, it’s not a party unless there’s trifle…
and party favors.
On a totally different note, I always thought this guy was terribly handsome
even from behind
Don’t tell his wife I said that.
7 comments:
Awesome *grin*. For just a sec there I thought you were actually mortified I posted pictures of your butt on the internet. I shoulda known better. LOL! You throw a beautiful party my friend. When we're old and celebrating our 30th annual orchard in bloom party we'll be whistling through our teeth "member back in 2009 when we sat out here freezing our behinds off?" I'm looking forward to future parties with record highs and then we'll be able to reminisce over those as well.
It sure looks like from your pictures/post as well as PC's that you throw a wonderful "Welcome Spring" party - even if spring forgot to show up. I love your party favors. How fun for your guests to be able to take a little of the party home with them! Your property looks so beautiful.
I wish I could send you a little of our heat. We're having July temps at the beginning of June - not a good sign since we've been in a D4 drought (the worst there is) for the last 20 months. We don't mind the heat so much, but we're desperately praying for rain. The farmers and ranchers here are nearly in dispair.
Hope your crop does well despite the cool start.
Blessings!
What a wonderful way to celebrate! Lovely Berry Girl:)
I'm looking forward to reminiscing during a year of record highs as well.... oh- and better your butt than mine... pass the trifle. ;)
Dawn, I didn't realize you guys were in a drought - how terrible! We had drought for several years and it was quite stressful. I remember being surprised the year it was finally over that there were fields with "potholes" - low spots that were always filled with water or just soggy, b/c for so many years the farmers had been able to plant EVERYWHERE, there were no potholes b/c it had been so dry.
We'll be praying for you guys - does the drought affect you and Bud? Do you guys farm?
What are saskatoon berries? What do they taste like? I had always assumed you grew blueberries as that is the berry of growing-choice over here.
Silly me.
Your pictures make me want to shell out the $500 to fly over there and eat.
Suzy, they're a little darker than blueberries (more purple) and according to the discussion over at Prairie Chick's blog, "meatier" than a blueberry and slightly seedier. They're not as mushy as blueberries. They're waaaay better. although I could be biased, but I DID grow up in BC...
Post a Comment