Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me

nowfeaturing_browniebatterbom

I’m currently trying to figure out how long I can use “…because it’s my birthday” before it starts to lose its meaning.  As in “I can eat a Costco caramel sundae AND a DQ blizzard in one day, because it’s my birthday”, or “I will stop at Starbucks twice, because it’s my birthday”, or “maybe you could wash the dishes tonight because it’s my birthday” or “I think you should put both the boys to bed tonight because it’s my birthday”…

I’m thinking I have the whole week.  I will just amend it to “because it’s my birthday week” and call it good.

Birthday week started off with a bang.  I met two of my good friends in the city on Sunday and we hung out, had a great meal, ate Blizzards, and laughed and talked and sat in Starbucks and talked some more.  I get together with these two maybe twice a year, and each time we spend time catching up, and then more time “getting down to it”, so to speak.  Halfway through our visit, we’ll tackle the “how are you really doing” and get down to the gritty stuff.   I love it.  I love how easy it is with them, and how honest we always are with each other.  And how it makes me feel accountable, knowing that at least two other people out there know that I’m struggling with prayer, or with my devotional life, or that I’m doing ok off my antidepressant, or whatnot.  It was a really really great day.

Today, my actual birthday (I am 25 35)I started the day off with an early morning run.  This is the second early morning run this week, and my body isn’t quite sure what I think I am doing.  It keeps yelling at me “THIS ISN’T HOW WE DO THINGS!!” as I run at 6am.  And it’s right.  Usually we stay in bed as long as humanly possible, then stagger out to the kitchen for strong coffee.  Running right off the bat seems cruel, but it’s part of my plan to become a “morning person”.  I’ll elaborate more on that later.  It’s a post all on it’s own, believe me.

Anyway, once I was showered and dressed, two different friends whisked me off to the city for the day, complete with free babysitting.  We had coffee and massive cinnamon buns, then more coffee, then I got to shop leisurely at The Gap (and several other places), then food court Chinese food (yummmm), then more coffee, more shopping…*sigh*.  It was great.

THEN, my fabulous husband, knowing my ice cream addiction, and knowing that it was a blistering 30C again today, picked up some dry ice and four different kinds of Blizzards from DQ, and brought them all the way home.  He invited some friends over, and we sat on the new deck furniture (pictures to come soon) and visited over coffee and ice cream.  Heavenly.

On FRIDAY (because, as I mentioned before, it’s birthday week…), some girls are coming here and throwing a brunch – I can’t wait!  Nothing I love more than good friends and food and coffee.  So fun.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Ooh! Forgot about the brunch part of the brunch- you just reminded me to get thinking about what I can bring... any suggestions of your favorites (since it IS your birthday???)

Suzy said...

YAY! Happy birthday Berry Girl! I still use the birthday excuse and it's June. My birthday is in January.

I have no idea why I am still awake right now. Gonna feel it tomorrow.

And I can't wait to hear all about how you are becoming a morning person. It sounds like a fascinating transformation, like werewolfs and Sasquatches/ Do Sasquatches even transform?

Night night.

Dawn said...

Well... if I COULD, I would come to your brunch and the coffee would be on me! LOL

Happy, happy birthday to you!!! I pray all of God's blessings upon you.

Looking forward to seeing all your pictures (hope you make pictures at the brunch, too) and reading about why you're making the change to a morning person.

Unknown said...

Interesting... I've been seriously trying to talk myself into becoming a morning person for about two weeks now, had NO idea we were on the same wave length. It's kind of like dieting, desperately want to and need to but sleep and good food are SOOOOOOOOOOO tempting, argh!

And Dawn, I guffawed when I read your comment because girl, the coffee IS on you, rotflol! I'll take pics and send 'em to B-Girl so she can do a birthday brunch post and show off her beautiful new porch furniture and her girlfriends.

Unknown said...

oh and I forgot to say, what you have with G and M, it encouraged me. It's something else that has been on my heart. How we (not you and I, but me in my relationships in general) just don't "go there" the way we should. Noone knows, noone asks, whatever the reasons, we are not connecting in the spiritual way we were designed to connect. I get discouraged about this and am praying that I can be that kind of friend and that God will bless me with friends that have a heart to go there too. I thank God for G and M and how the three of you have the kind of relationship that can balance frills and fun alongside the hardy denim of daily life and spiritual discipline. Just hearing that someone is experiencing that is an encouragement to me.