Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ramblings

Well, I’ve kind of killed this day in a haze of coffee and reading.  I have done absolutely nothing productive, unless you would include finishing a book more out of sheer determination than actual enjoyment.

Oh wait, I folded the laundry and did the ironing.

phew.

Here are my observations on the day:

Berry Baby has a lot of diarrhea.  and that’s all I will say about that, other than we will be seeing a doctor shortly (as in half an hour from now) to see if something is going on that can be killed with antibiotics.

Berry Baby is also killing me, yet again, with a significant lack of sleep.  This has become the story of my life (and, I suppose, his…) and results in me walking around in a complete haze and being able to fall asleep at a moments notice no matter how much French Roast coffee I consume.  It also chips away at my otherwise sunny and cheerful disposition.  ahem.  Due to the lack of sleep and a conversation I had at work, I have booked an appointment with our pediatrician to see if there’s something bigger at play here – do we need to increase his reflux meds, is the reflux a bigger problem than we had suspected, etc etc.

Berry Boy is reaching a new level of development.  I can see it in the way he is developing his sense of humor.  It is unfortunately a lot like his Dad’s – teasing and button pushing.  I’m in for a verrrrrry long lifetime.  I love it though when we look at the boys and they are suddenly different – like when Berry Boy *gets* something he didn’t before, or mimics me (teasingly) in a shockingly good way.

Berry Baby is a complete ham, more so if he notices that you are noticing.  He’s hilarious, and I encourage it.  Bad bad mom.

Running is harder to do when there is no imminent goal bearing down on me, thus proving once again that I am a complete slacker, and also proving what I have always said – that I *work better under pressure*.  Feel free to snicker to yourself.  That being said, I plan to run 6 miles tonight, although it will probably have to be on the treadmill due to the blessed rain.

I’m curious as to how hard exactly I will have to beat the dog before she stops digging in my flower beds and killing my plants.  Is there a specific formula?  And why, when we have literally ACRES of dirt around here, does she have to do her digging in my flower beds on top of my perennials.

On a related note, this will be the third, yes, third year that I will have tried to grow a Clematis, which is (apparently) one of the easiest and hardiest plants to grow.  I bought a nice, tall, healthy plant from the local greenhouse.  It had blooms all ready to go on it, and it was about 2 feet tall.  I planted it, along with its little trellis.  I left its little trellis with it until I could get a big trellis for the wall of the house.  The dog thought the little trellis looked good to chew on and pulled it out of the ground, along with the two feet of Clematis attached to it.  I now have a 1inch Clematis with two leaves.  I beat the dog with the little trellis until it broke, which was after about two hits.  And then I cried.

Incidentally, I cannot grow Hollyhocks either.  Most people can’t kill them, and I cannot get them to grow.

I managed to get out of my pjs by 1pm, and will now take off to the local medi clinic to find out that there is actually nothing wrong with Berry Baby, leaving me with the only other possible explanation: he is deliberately trying to drive me insane.

peace out.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Oh sweet Jesus, have mercy on my dear friend. Feel free to withold mercy on aforementioned dog. Amen.

Dawn said...

(Raising hands in agreement with Chris...)

Yes, Lord!!!

Berry Girl said...

lol - you guys are hilarious. And great.

Here's the update:
apparently, behind those chubby cheeks a sinus infection may be lurking. The doc said she immediately thought that one cheek was puffy(er) just from first looking at him when she walked in the room, and given his recurrent high fever this last weekend, she thought antibiotics were in order. This from the doc who does NOT dole out the meds liberally. So we'll see what the meds do. Meantime, guess I'll keep drinking the coffee...
Is there any safe and/or legal way to knock this kid out at night...just wondering...

Dawn said...

Glad you got some meds - maybe your little guy (and you!)will get some relief soon!

Night time sleeping "assistance" - Benadryl always works for my kids. (Just a regular dose.) I'd test it out at naptime first, though, as I've heard that some kids have a "reverse" reaction and can get a little hyper. You certainly don't want that at bedtime. (FYI - Benadryl and Tylenol are the same ingredients found in Tylenol PM.)

Girls... speaking of coffee...

PC has Texas coffee that she is promising to share with you sometime this week. Go for a visit and have a cup. (Tell her I sent you - she won't mind! Ha ha!) I sent several flavors so you'll have to let me know which ones you like best and I'll send more in the future.

Wish I could be there to have a cup with you!

Berry Girl said...

lol Dawn - I've been using the Dimetapp (decongestant) but it doesn't seem to last *sigh* You know, with Berry Boy, I would give him a dose of Tylenol at bedtime (for teething) and he would sleep straight through. Same when he had a cold/ear infection and I'd give him the decongestant. Not this guy. Teething, he was up every four hours for another dose. Same with the cold and the decongestant. Crazy.

I got a little note saying that the coffee had landed ;) and that we'd all be having coffee as soon as the weather clears up - can't wait! Wish you could be here too...

Unknown said...

oh that pesky old dog. He might end up meeting his namesake yet, huh? Chris will be getting a Texas treat later on today when she comes out hunting for sticks after school lets out, (B-Girl your welcome to hop on over and join us) and I've got a nice brunch planned for B Girl's birthday next week where all the girls will get to savor it as well. Really a pity Texas is so blasted far away.

Unknown said...

you're..... obviously. doh! I blame it on talking and typing at the same time, take it or leave it =)

Suzy said...

Me! Me! Me! Can I come for Texas coffee too? What is Texas coffee like? Will it kick me out of this benadryl-induced coma? Will it unstick my eyeballs?

Eww... my word verifications is "medlice." Does Texas coffee kill medlice?

Tracey said...

Hollyhocks, poppycocks. I'm so glad you couldn't grow them, so that you could use "hollyhocks" in a sentence.

And look at your runs lately (on the side)! Hurray!

How is the sleeping situation now?