Monday, March 9, 2009

I need a new plan

100_3771

I have not run since the 25th of February.  My first run, since that time, was a quick little 2-miler to test out my new insoles for my runners, and that was on Saturday.  It felt good. I felt good.  The new insoles felt good.  There was goodness everywhere.

Suzy helped me set up a great little get-my-butt-running-in-time-for-the-half-marathon plan, and I need/want/should be running a little 5k/3-miler today.

Trouble is…it’s the end of the day.  I have just finished arguing with Berry Baby for half an hour about whether or not he is going to go into his crib without his bottle (oh yes, we are back to that.  I don’t want to talk about it).   I won.  But it is now 8:30pm, I’m tired, the wood stove is warm and cozy, the chair is comfy, and there’s a book I could be reading.

I need a strategy.  I need to either:

(a) get up ridiculously early so that I can get my run in first thing whether or not it is a work day (sooooo not a morning person)

(b) get up at a normal time and only run on the days I’m not working (I only work 2 days of the week, but they vary, so I could work Monday and Wednesday this week and Tuesday & Thursday next week – so my schedule for running would not be consistent)

(c) find some way to NOT crash after supper and baths and dishes and fighting with Berry Baby, so that I am still motivated to run in the evening

(4) get off the computer already and get my butt on that treadmill.

I’m excited to start running regularly again.  I really am.  I’m just terribly fatigued.  What is a girl to do?  Give me some strategies here ladies…or I may end up having to call Chris every night to ask her to tell me to get my butt in gear…

**ok, I finally did manage to get my sorry butt downstairs to the treadmill and I hammered out a great 3miles.  And they were awesome. Maybe I just need some momentum...

12 comments:

Always a Southern Girl said...

I need to get my butt in gear too. Pray that God will give you the will and strength and energy to accomplish the task you have set for yourself.==Take care, Renee

Dawn said...

Well, I'm no help as I'd have advised you to take full advantage of the warm fire, comfy chair and good book.

Sorry! Be blessed!

Chris said...

okay... Renee's idea is obviously superior to this one, as it's only in His strength that we succeed.

Another idea is to find something to get hooked on... aka-me and Gilmore girls... find some sort of sermon series or old episodes of somthing or other that are really compelling. I look forward to getting on my machine now because I can't wait to see what happens next.

And what about taking advantage of kindergarten afternoons when Bbaby is napping? Eat a light-ish lunch (not chili cheese nachos)and finish off the run with the rest of your lunch.

Berry Girl said...

WHAT???? NOT eat chili-cheese nachos?? insane.

you're right, of course. I need to get a new box of protein bars for work - if I eat one just before I'm going to leave, then by the time BBaby is sleeping I'm ready to run, and eat something more substantial after.

LOL Dawn - I was fully determined to NOT leave the chair and the fire (as it's -30 right now) but the more I thought about it the guiltier I became :)

Thanks Renee - I needed a bit of encouragement!

Chris said...

I didn't say don't eat chili cheese nachos... what I meant was NOT BEFORE YOU RUN. Cuz who loves burping up THAT? ugh.

Cuz up in heaven I'm nearly positive God will have chili cheese nachos as one of the twelve crops of fruit on the trees of life. Because He's entirely good and just, and he creates divine things like cows which provide me with so much joy in their life AND their demise.

And I'll stop talking now.

Suzy said...

I vote for "b" and "4"

Berry Girl said...

oh my Chris - this is the third time that I've read your second comment and I'm STILL laughing hard enough to cry...

So here's the plan:
*Eat at work in such a way as to be able to run as soon as I'm in the door and have wrestled BBaby to sleep.
*Have something fun to watch whilst running (b/c if I'm alone in the house, I absolutely CANNOT plug in my earphones - freaks me out in the can't-hear-the-psycho-sneaking-up-on-me kind of way)
*Save Chili-Cheese nachos for AFTER the run
*on not-working days, run first thing in the morning (meaning sometime after coffee, 9am or so...just shooting for "before lunch" here...)

good ideas. Glad to know you're all out there ready to kick me in the butt when I need it...

Berry Girl said...

and thankful that only a couple of you are actually close enough to physically do that...

Chris said...

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want a kick in the butt from Suzy... you don't know what she might NOT be wearing at the time... (snicker)

Berry Girl said...

ohhohohoho. nice.

here's another plan:
*drink an obscene amount of coffee while baking peanut-butter & jam thumbprint cookies right before supper. The caffeine will see me through until after the run, the run will make me tired for bed, and the cookies that I will eat way too many of in the process will destroy my appetite for pizza at supper.

I don't see a flaw in that plan...

Suzy said...

Oh, so we're getting dirty now eh? MmmHmmm...

Oh, look! It's 9 degrees celcius outside and sunny! I think I see my chives shooting up in my herb garden.

(stretching calves after an invogorating run in the sun)

Alright, alright. We're even now, okay? And the only apparel missing from my body right now are my socks.

Berry Girl said...

loser.