Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I must be stupid

really. at least, in the eyes of a 4-and-a-half year old. it would explain the constant arguing. We recently settled this argument, but only after much research on the computer:

BB: mom? mom. mommy. (all of our conversations begin this way) you know how fast a wildebeest can go?
Me: no, how fast?
BB: faster than a car
Me: uh, no. a car is faster than a wildebeest
BB: no it isn't
Me: yes it is
BB: no it isn't
Me: YES, it IS.
BB: well, a wildebeest is faster than a semi truck
Me: (right here my eyes are rolling back into my head) well, a semi truck is AS FAST as a car, so a wildebeest CANNOT be faster than a semi

...and he continues to disagree, at which point I just want to say "do you think I'm stupid?" but I don't, because we're not *allowed* to say "stupid" in our house.

but really, that's about what he's saying to me. he's basically saying that 13 years of public school, 4 years of University, and 34 years of "life experience" mean nothing, because in his egocentric 4yr-old brain, he's right and I'm wrong. at least until the computer tells us otherwise. (he was, by the way, extremely disapointed to find out that a wildebeest can only run about 50mph, and we were driving almost twice that fast on the way to swimming lessons because we were late).

it's not just the wildebeest. apparently he knows more than me, period. I keep finding myself in the most ridiculous arguments, shaking my head, and wanting to strangle him.

but then I watch him during swimming lessons, trying to be brave, and he's so cute my heart wants to explode

I just wish I didn't feel so darn stupid all the time.

1 comment:

Joy said...

That is so funny! Sounds just like my kids! They always know it all and have a answer for EVERYTHING!
I don't know what would happen if they weren't so darn cute you know.
Joy