Wednesday, March 10, 2010

mmmmmmassage

Last week did not go so well with the running.  Monday I ran that 5miles that gave me the gift of hip and back pain for the rest of the week.  I did a very easy 2.5 miles on Thursday that actually seemed to help, and then an easy 5km run outside with a friend on Saturday. 

I probably should have stopped there for the week, but of course I didn’t.  I ran another easy-paced 3 miler outside on Sunday, and I think that’s where it started to go downhill again.  By the next morning (Monday) my back hurt as bad as it had the week before, so I called my physiotherapist to see if she had any openings for Tuesday morning.  She didn’t.  Then she asked if I could maybe meet her at 7:30am?  I am not a morning person at all, so I cringed a little and then I snatched that appointment up like it was a fresh glazed donut.  That’s how bad things were.

Tuesday morning bright and early, I met her at the clinic and she put my hip back straight and released a few *angry* spots.  I could finally sit without wanting to kill myself.  It was great.  I ran a very easy paced 3 miler later in the evening on the treadmill, and except for the fact that it was horrifyingly slow, it felt great.

Today I followed up with a massage.  Not the nice relaxation-type massage, but the “I-really-don’t-like-you-right-now-and-I’m-trying-not-to-swear-but-I’ll-thank-you-later” kind of massage.  I love those.  She found all kinds of little *areas* that were tight, like the bottom of my right foot, and the obvious spot on my lower back that  had been *angry* all week, and at least three spots in and around my shoulder blades.  My hip flexors were also extremely tight, which was no surprise, but she managed to get in there and they seemed to begin to loosen a little.

So I’m being good tonight and just letting everything settle.  Good is of course an extremely relative term here, as I may not be running but I am shovelling in Rolo Dibs faster than a half-naked toddler running away from the bathroom during potty training.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

I love your gazed donut and naked toddler similes. I'm hoping that your hip stays in! Man, we have a lot in common.