Thursday, March 4, 2010

Craptastic

That’s about how well my run went on Monday.  After taking a week off for bronchitis, and another week off for the stomach flu, I tried to play catch-up and smacked down a 5-miler on the treadmill.  And pretty much every minute of it felt lousy.  It was apparently the gift that keeps on giving, because the next day both my hips hurt and there was a muscle in my lower back that was spasming angrily away.  It’s now Thursday and I still hurt.

I’m considering just becoming a non-runner, except that I just dropped $55 for the May half marathon.

I’ve spent the last two days stretching and trying to keep my wonky hip in place, but I just have no idea if I’m being successful or not.  I’m considering an easy 2-3miler this evening during “Grey’s Anatomy” and I’m hoping it helps more than hinders.  I guess we’ll see.

This is all really frustrating, because I’ve been sporadic at best with my running for the last month or so.  My hip is having *issues*, so I’ve taken time off for that, but then there have been the regular winter colds and other normal things, so the base that I should have built already leading into my half marathon training just isn’t there.  At all.  The Brainsport Brainfreeze half marathon is on Sunday, and I was totally planning to run it (mostly so that I could say I ran a race called the Brainfreeze – sounds hard core) but obviously won’t be since I can’t even manage an easy 5miler.  It was going to be my “confidence builder” and a lead-in to the half marathon in May, where I was going to smash my PR and come in at or under the 2hr mark.

Ah well, the most predictable thing about life is that it’s unpredictable, right?

3 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Oooh, I got to be the first follower of your new blog. ;o) You've still got time before the half, just try to ease a little more slowly into running again.

Suzy said...

I am too insecure in my individuality to become a "follower". But of course, I'll always follow Berry Girl. She's hilarious. Or are you "Really Girl" now? Oh wait--Runnerific Girl?

Tracey said...

Happy to be here, Runnerific. I am going to copy your countdown to race day thingy, too.