So initially, my Master Plan was to kick some 10k ass run a really fast 10k this weekend. I was going to race this sucker and kick the crap out of it.
Then my friend Judy decided that she only had 5k in her, which was fine and didn’t deter me from my Master Plan until Berry Baby came down with bronchitis and started snotting and coughing all over me.
At which point I decided that 5k would be fine, but I was going to open up a can of whoop ass really race that 5k. Besides, that way Judy wouldn’t have to wait forever for me at the finish line, and plus I needed a Fall 5k for this Shave Your 5K Challenge that I stumbled across. So my New Master Plan was to beat my Spring 5k time of 27:10. No problem.
But then after a week of Berry Baby’s cough and snot, my own chest started to feel a little irritated. And wheezy. And then a little congested. And at first I wrote it off as my asthma acting up a little, but by the middle of this week I was forced to admit that I might actually be sick. So after a double run on Monday, I ran not a single step more.
My NEW New Master Plan was now to preserve whatever lung function I had for the 5k on Sunday, which I would now run with Judy, nice and slow and easy.
So this morning I picked Judy up, made a quick pit stop at Starbucks on our way to the race, and made it to the hotel (where package pickup and post-race party was being held) with plenty of time to spare. I sipped my Caramel Macchiato, we grabbed our race packages and took the bags back to the truck, which is when I realized that I had forgotten to bring along my inhaler. Baaaaad. Not only am I a bit sick, but the cool air really irritates my asthma. So this effectively killed any possibility of running fast, which I was still stupidly considering.
We lined up for the start and then proceeded to weave our way through walkers, slower runners, and people who would just stop randomly in the middle of the path directly in front of you for no apparent reason. Which was fine – it’s not a competitive race, it’s a “fun run”, and I pretty much expect that over half the people participating have no idea that there is such a thing as “race etiquette”. I settled into a good pace with Judy and we just ran. And I didn’t feel too bad – except that I could feel each and every breath as the cool air burned its way through my chest (it was maybe 2 degrees celcius). We took a couple of walk breaks after the 5k turnaround, and I silently swore at some of the people who were now coming toward us but were still walking or jogging 4 across, leaving NO ROOM for us to get past them. Niiiiice. I get that some people may not realize that it’s polite to pull off to the side to stop and walk, but it would take a moron to not realize that you’re taking up the ENTIRE PATH and forcing people to run around you on the grass.
Anyway.
With half a kilometer left, my legs were itching to give ‘er, and Judy told me to “just go already”, so I took off and sprinted the last bit. It felt awesome, but I have a feeling that I may regret it later when I can’t stop coughing.
So at the post-race party, I realized the benefits of only running the 5k – great seats, and first dibs on the food (*grin*) I know that this race is to support Arthritis research and blah blah blah, but I really run it for the post-race breakfast – hot scrambled eggs, breakfast sausages, bagels and cream cheese…I’m totally there for the sausage.
All in all, it was a great morning. My chest is a bit wheezy, but not as bad as I was expecting. I’m going to credit the pre-race triple shot Caramel Macchiato – I’ve read that caffeine can relieve the effects of asthma (like I need another reason to keep drinking coffee). I did a second Starbucks run after the race and now I can hardly wait to hit the shower and have our friends come over for some eats and some dirt biking.

5 comments:
great post. I can totally picture it all, which helps ease the rub of not going... except for the breakfast bit... that doesn't make my cold cereal and black coffee look like much. I'm glad you managed okay, and that you enjoyed Judy's company too... she can always make something more enjoyable! You'll pull out the stops on the next run, no worries.
Good for you!
Glad you were able to at least enjoy the race. I need a race that ends with scrambled eggs and sausages...
Wow, I'm with Chris in that I really could picture everything! I'm with Chris on the cold cereal and coffee too. Heck, I really would like to be with Chris right now! 'Cause that would mean I'd be there, and you'd be down the road, and we'd be meeting for coffee in five minutes.
*sniff*
Dreaming of the day that I can "run to eat". You don't know how good you've got it.
Post a Comment