I love Daily Mile – it’s such a fun place to log my runs and see what my friends have been doing for their runs. It motivates me to run faster or longer or more often because it feeds my tiny little competitive streak. If I see that one of my friends is running over 40miles in a week, I figure I can at least make my goal of 20. When someone else runs a fast-paced 5k, I get the urge to pick up my pace too.
And when I hit 26miles in one week, Daily Mile sent me this fabulous motivational email that said “Hey! Awesome training last week!”, and I believed that it was sincere and that I really did have an awesome training week.
Then I got the training report for the week that I ran all of two times for a grand total of 9miles. And Daily Mile said the same thing: “HEY! AWESOME training last week!”. Ummm, no. No, it wasn’t awesome. It was two pretty bad runs is what it was, and it was not even half of my weekly goal.
I expected more from you Daily Mile. I expected you to give me a virtual smack upside the head and to tell me to get moving already. That I had fallen drastically short of my goal. That I could *totally* do better. Or, at the very least, to say a kind “better luck this week?”.
But no, you just say “Awesome”.
Thanks for the sincerity.
5 comments:
What your pal 'dailymile' didn't do was have the nerve to tell you to drop the toblerone and choco-men. But it also couldn't tell you that even though you had a lousy week, that doesn't change the awesome running you will do THIS week. It couldn't tell you that children will not be children forever, and tell you that with both hope and sorrow in it's voice. And it can't tell you that once in a while it's okay to have less than stellar mileage even though you overdid it in the snack department.
Umm. WHY isn't Chris famous yet for writing brilliant literature? Honestly. Chris... TALENTED.
Anyway, so this daily mile thing. I have a bone to pick about it too. I HATE how it rounds up my mileage from 4.5 to 5 because if I do that 6 times in a week, then it says that I ran an extra 3 miles and that's wrong. WRONG. Wrong like stealing lipstick when I was 12 years old. Wrong like drinking coffee past 4pm. Wrong wrong WRONG.
well... since we're having a whine fest, I'll jump on the bandwagon. I hate that whether I run 50 min's as fast as I can (read, not fast at all) or 50 min's in slo-mo... it tells me I burned the EXACT same number of calories.
I noticed that generic "great training" thing from the get-go. Wouldn't it be funny if they had mile levels and sent you a standard message for how many miles you ran? Like, "your training was the pits this week, step it up, woman. We expect better from you." or if you didn't clock any miles at all they could write; "treadmill broke? snowed in? What's your excuse? Whatever it is, we don't want to hear it. All we want to hear is the sound of running shoes meeting a flat surface so get your heiny movin', woman." :P
YES. THAT is what I'm talking about. I need that motivating "get off your butt and run already, you only clocked 3miles last week" email, not this "AWESOME TRAINING!" junk. That's just celebrating mediocrity (lol)
Bgirl, I hope you sent Suzy and Pchick the link I got from you today. Because it made the day.
(blushing) Thanks, Suzy.
Post a Comment