Monday, April 20, 2009

In The Long Run…

614309_14694758

I hit the 9mile mark in my training for the half-marathon yesterday.  Which means that I had to run 9 miles.  Nine *glorious* miles of never-ending prairie roads, where you can see exactly how far away the half-way point is.  Sometimes, I wish I lived back in the city.  Where there was a river.  With nice, winding paths.  And prettier scenery than last year’s stubble field.  And those, by the way, are not my legs.  My calves aren’t quite that beautiful.  or tan. although the shoes could be mine…

anyway…I love running.  And I don’t mind the long runs really.  They can be relaxing and peaceful, just (apparently) not yesterday’s.  I think I may very well have hit all 5 stages of grief in that run:

Denial:  This would have been in miles 1-2, where I was telling myself “this isn’t so bad” and “that wind isn’t too strong” and “my legs feel really fresh”…

Anger:  This hit me in mile 5 when I turned on to the freshly graded grid road.  Running on a freshly graded grid road is akin to running on marbles.  Consider how fun that could be.

Bargaining:  Probably also somewhere along mile 5 – when I was telling myself that if I could just make it to that next field approach or telephone pole, then I could keep on running to the next field approach or telephone pole (not really a bargaining chip), or that if I ever made it to the corner and on to mile 6, then I could eat all the gummy bears in my little bag that I was toting along (a better bargaining chip).  Or that Liz had probably run an effortless 9 miles already probably didn’t have achy legs after either…

Depression:  Definitely on mile 8, when I turned back onto the paved highway, and thought that I was running really fast, and really making time, until I hit the mile mark and looked at my watch to see what my split time was…yeah, not so fast.  In fact, not any faster than my last mile.  Which had been painstakingly slow.  Apparently, when your legs are a bit numb from 8 miles of running, it can feel like you’re going fast.  But that’s just because you can’t feel your legs.

Acceptance:  Mile 9, where I finally admitted that this was as bad as it felt, and that wind really was that strong, and my legs really did feel that numb, and that spot on my big toe probably was a blister…

The best part of my run came at the end (of course) as I topped the *hill* that marked the last half a mile of my run and started on the way down.  “Boom Boom Pow” started playing on my ipod (thank you Suzy) and I sped down that hill and up the short incline to my driveway, and STOPPED.  And immediately felt better.  Until I got inside and had to walk down the stairs.

11 comments:

Chris said...

5 stages... that's depressingly hilarious. wtg, that you made it through. You rock. your keep-goingness inspires me. so much so that when Bree calls me tonight, I'm going to say "yes, I'll go with you."

Berry Girl said...

really?? you're running???? YAY! You go girl in your new sports-thing-that-you-bought-Saturday!

I had to walk a couple of times because I was just so tired - I don't think I ate enough the day before or during the day of to fuel me through...and I needed to be carrying a drink - I was parched. Made it tough to chew the gummy bears...next time I'm bringing a Pocket Coffee...I've been hording it...

Suzy said...

Pocket coffee??? Me! Me! I want one!

I love the stages of grief post. Verrrrry clever.

Chris? Running? Outside? On THE ROAD? Yee-HAW! WaydaGO Chris! I'm rooting for you. Root! Root!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

well, hey here's a thought. I'm guessing that if you ran north on your road, east on the correction line, north on the road past Vick and Sherrylyn's then worked your way around that "block" back to my place, that would be somewhere over 6 miles, then I can leave a pocket coffee hanging from the tree at my driveway as a bargaining chip to get you home. Or you could just quit at my driveway and come in and enjoy one with me *grin*.

Berry Girl said...

lol - seriously, I almost took my route your way JUST so that I could stop and get a drink :) I've been hording those pocket coffees specifically for this (I still have a few) and I keep forgetting to bring them (hit head with hand)

Suzy, they are these WONDERFUL little chocolates that Prairie Chick gets from Italy (or, from the States, and pays ridiculous shipping for - see here: http://prairieprologue.blogspot.com/2009/02/worth-their-weight-in-gold-literally.html)

anyway, they are little chocolates filled with...wait for it...A SMALL SHOT OF LIQUID ESPRESSO. I kid you not. WHAT, I ask, could be MORE PERFECT for perking a girl up on a really, really, really long run...

Berry Girl said...

hording? hoarding?? crap, I think I just misspelled that word TWICE...

Unknown said...

well whaddya mean "seriously though" I was totally being serious. LOL! Does poor Berry Guy know he was gypped of his dessert?

Berry Girl said...

haha - no. He wouldn't have enjoyed them anyway...at least that's what I will continue to tell myself *grin*

Dawn said...

Well, my little narrative would have been something like this...

Mile 1: Started out strong. Near the end, trying to breathe. Legs turning to rubber...

Mile 2: (Sound of crickets chirping...)

I'd have to have chocolate - and a lot of it! - waiting at the end to motivate me to run that far.

You go girl!!!

Berry Girl said...

lolol - Dawn, you're hilarious :)

you know, I've often said that the only FULL marathon I would consider running (because while I can wrap my head around 13 miles, 26 is a bit of a stretch) would be the Nike Women's marathon, for exactly that reason. A Ghirardelli chocolate stop at, I believe, the halfway mark, AND tuxedo-clad hunky firefighters handing out Tiffany's necklaces to the finishers in lieu of medals. Now THAT'S worth running 26.2 miles for...