Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Greening up

933499_spinach

Yesterday, I ate a salad for lunch.

This is momentous to no one except me, considering how (not) often anything of the vegetable variety passes over my lips.  However, because I asked Berry Guy to pick up “some” spinach so that I could make a strawberry spinach salad for Easter supper with the family, I am staring at a Costco-sized bag of fresh spinach every time I open the fridge.

Note to self – do all the grocery shopping.

Anyway, I actually like spinach, so this is not a travesty.  And I’m really not sure why I don’t eat vegetable-type things more often.  I’m going to blame it on my University days and finding one too many liquefied cucumbers in the bottom of the fridge that I shared with four other girls.

I have a thing about fresh produce.  If it is even remotely blemished or soft or on the barest verge of maybe beginning to be not quite as fresh as when I bought it yesterday, I’m done with it.  I’m paranoid that it will taste “off”.  Incidentally, I do the same with dairy.  If that expiry date hits, it gets tossed.  No matter what.  Drives Berry Guy crazy.  As, I’m sure, many (many) other things do.  ok, now I’m looking at the word “many” and I’m suddenly wondering if it’s spelled that way because it looks really strange.  Like “man-y”…man-like…never mind.

SO I’m fairly bursting with iron and calcuim-rich greenness.  And I thought that my Calorie Counter would really like that.  I’ve  been tracking my daily calories online for the last two weeks or so, mostly out of curiosity, but also because I would love to ditch just 5lbs.  Would you believe that every day I am “over” my daily “recommended” caloric intake by at minimum 200 calories??  Every. Single. Day.  And this doesn’t even take into account the random Cadbury mini eggs and the chunks of Easter bunny dipped in peanut butter.  Seriously, only a Grandma would buy a 1lb chocolate Easter bunny for a 1yr old.  Who, exactly, do they think is going to end up eating that thing…

*sigh*

Moving on…I was all excited to add this spinachy healthy veggie-laden salad to my calorie log.  It didn’t help.  I think, maybe, I was expecting the spinach to have a calorie-negating kind of effect.  Because that only seems right, don’t you think?  I mean, if I usually eat Kraft Dinner for lunch, or chili-cheese nachos with full fat sour cream, then the times that I go out of my way to eat spinach should create a calorie deficit.  Stuff like that should have negative calories.  ahem.

Tonight, I’m gonna show that calorie counter a thing or two.  I’m gonna cook up the fish that Berry Guy brought home from his ice fishing weekend.  And I’m gonna FRY it.  In BUTTER.  Lots and lots of BUTTER.  And I’m gonna make mashed potatoes with lots of BUTTER, and SOUR CREAM, and CREAM CHEESE.

I think I should just stop tracking calories.  It depresses and frustrates me.  And then I want to eat chocolate.  Or chips.  Or chili-cheese nachos.  I just can’t imagine where the problem is…

5 comments:

Suzy said...

Oh, Berry Girl. I love Easter bunnies dipped in peanut butter too.

5 lb. can be easily lost by wearing the right jeans and heels. You deserve to relax, sit back, and eat the dang fish and ice cream.

It's usually during times when we're NOT watching every single thing we eat that we end up not eating as much. The focus is off food, and on other things. Or something.

You really like fish? Fried in butter? Maybe I'd like fish too if I fried it in butter. Would I like spinach if I fried it in butter?

I just threw out a soggy cucumber from my fridge today. No kidding.

Unknown said...

I'm salivating. And grinning. Man, if I would have read this in time I think I would have salivated my way right over to your doorstep for some of that buttery-fried-cream cheese goodness and, you know, to help alleviate the Easter Bunny problem >wink<.

Tracey said...

I'm pretty sure celery is one of those negative-caloric foods...unless you are like me, and you like to spread Cheese Whiz all over it.

I love the new Springy look to your blog!

Chris said...

You take that calorie counter and stuff it, chick. This is not a big issue.
Remember that God made all of the foods in our world, even the cocoa bean. It would be spitting in his face to tell Him, "Sorry God, this body You made me is too important to delight in Your dreamy dairy products, which You really only created for our delight. And the carbs you put in potatoes (which were created JUST for our consumption) are just too fatty"

Perspective. That's all that's missing. You are beautiful, and fabulous, and you were created to enjoy your tastebuds. Cut yourself some slack, and just think moderation.
The maddeningest I get is when I overeat and feel like bursting... then I undo all the pleasure I've taken from eating. Take a look at your food, decide what you want to eat the most on your plate (with the 'thankyou' portion of veggies, for Bboys' benefit) and make sure to thoroughly enjoy those a little more slowly. Then reevaluate how much you really need to feel full. I mess up on that part all the time because I'm so enamoured with the tasting goodness. But every day is new.
Remember, you are beautiful, and fabulous, and encouraging, caring and wise. Forget all the other garbage for a while. (Cuz you REALLY need more unneccessary stress in your life)

Berry Girl said...

aren't most things good when they're fried in butter?? I don't go out to buy fish, but I do like having a good fish fry when there's pickerel fresh from an ice fishing trip. Or several weeks after the ice fishing trip because the night the guys got home I was, as Chris would say, reviewing my dietary accomplishments *wink* That's not a good time to fry some fish.

soggy cucumbers make me gag violently.

PC, can I bring the Easter bunny over tomorrow? (lol)

totally agree on the celery - even with the cheese whiz it should come out to zero, really.

Chris, as always, a balanced perspective. Dreamy dairy products indeed (lol) You're so right.