I woke up groggy this morning. So groggy that I initially poured the whole coffee beans straight into my coffee press, completely bypassing the grinder. Then, after I realised my mistake and corrected it, I brought the press full of ground coffee over to the stove, put the lid on it, set the timer, and walked away. And when my 4 minutes were up, I came back and pressed…nothing. Because I had forgotten to actually pour the hot water over the coffee grounds.
And it’s not like it’s early either. I slept in.
At least I’m now sipping on good coffee. Hello Cafe Estima – I’m sorry that I went back to House Blend for a couple of weeks. I won’t do it again.
So I’m smelling that horrible, stinky, house-permeating smell that means something (a mouse) has died somewhere in my basement. Again. Which means that the little to-do list I just created looks like this:
*clean bathroom
*vacuum upstairs
*clean out spare room in basement and find dead mouse
*clean off eating bar
*weed
Good stuff. I hate it when this happens. And, isn’t it summer??? Aren’t they supposed to come in in the Fall? You know, to find a warm spot? Well, I guess it certainly is warm in here…
Last night we escaped the much-too-warm house in search of cool on our dirt bikes. And I mean “cool” in both senses of the word – I wanted to feel the cool breeze, and I totally wanted to *be* cool. I at least accomplished one…
Anyway, some friends joined us at the last minute and we took off down the trail to some hills just a couple of miles from our place. We came to a nice big mud hole that I knew I was going to have trouble navigating, and started to grit my teeth in anticipation of the butt-kicking it was about to give me. And then Berry Guy asked me if I was going to walk my bike through. God be praised, I hadn’t realised that was an option. I hopped my pansy self off that bike and walked it through. I am a total wimp, and I’m ok with it. In this situation.
Chris took me off to ride this ridge through the hills, and it was spectacular. Perhaps the first time I have truly appreciated being on my dirt bike. We rode through tall grasses and wild flowers and the view was amazing and I could smell the grasses and plants as we drove through them. Which was a good thing – the smelling. So fragrant, so picture-perfect. And, I didn’t wipe out.
Summer is just that time when you feel like you should be getting up early(er) and doing stuff. Like running, or sipping coffee on the deck before the kids wake up and start asking you for stuff like breakfast. Summer totally guilts you into feeling inadequate for not enjoying it more. And then, for a kicker, it sends you moths. Which reminds me, I have to add another item to my to-do list for the day:
*kill moths
I’d better get started.
5 comments:
I love summer mornings, too.
I haven't ridden a dirt bike in more years than I care to think about. But, your post triggered memories (all five senses memories!) so strong that I could actually remember the feeling of riding! Makes me want to go track down a kid with a bike and force him to allow me to take it for a ride.
Happy hunting!
Aaaaghhhhh! You loved it! You loved that ride! I'm so excited! I had a hunch that would be just the thing to begin a little spark of dirtbike madness in you. It helps to not have 6-10 other bikes and quads on your tail or feeding you dust too. Can't wait to go again.
Ummm... dead mouse in the spare room that I SLEPT in last year? There's no such thing as mice! Inside! Right?
And the moths... *shudder* I remember that one I squished with my towel in the bathroom. I'd never seen so much carnage. I feel bad for you. Blech.
Oh, was I supposed to talk about dirt bikes?
well, I'm just glad that SOMEONE sympathizes with my moth plight. I hate them. They're horrible.
*shudder*
Post a Comment