Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ack.

Apparently, I only run seriously when it’s (a) winter or (b) there’s a race breathing down my neck.  And I just realised that there’s a race breathing down my neck.

My friend Genine and I are planning to do this 21k trail race on August 28th.  Which, I just realised, is only 9 weeks away.  Which, I also just realised, means that if I put in the bare minimum of weeks for training (10) I am still already one week behind.

Crap.

Time to get on it.  Except, I don’t really feel like it.  I’m loving Boot Camp, and I’m loving what it’s doing for my running.  I went to the city with some friends last weekend and we ran the river paths for 8km – it was fabulous.  The change of scenery, for one, but also my legs felt AMAZING.  Like, super strong.  After 5k I couldn’t hold them back any longer and I kind of left the two friends I was running with and just gave ‘er.  It was fantastic.

However, even with this improvement, running has kind of taken a serious backseat in my day.  Boot Camp leaves me sore and tired, and if that wasn’t enough of an excuse, then it’s hot, or stormy, or too humid, or we’re outside late doing stuff and don’t get the boys to bed on time, or there’s ice cream, or I’m sleeping in instead of running…

So I need a little motivation.  I wrote out my *training plan*, which gives me a gradual build up in long run mileage (again, because I haven’t maintained my long run like I said I would – argh), and I will have two other runs during the week that I have to do.  Usually, these would be speedwork and Tempo runs, but since I don’t have a time goal here (it’s just a super awesome experience) I will probably just focus on getting out the door, and I would like to take at least one run to the trails every other week or so.  Should be interesting.  I think I’ll call them Trail Run Tuesdays.  And hopefully I’ll get them done on Tuesdays.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'll hit the trail with you. I'll be bringing Dave's knife along though... mine doesn't seem that menacing after looking at those videos on your blog here....

Suzy said...

That race sounds GREAT! I'm not a huge trail runner fan, but races like that make me feel hard-core. You can do it! Scram.