Friday, June 4, 2010

Friends

A little while ago my good friend Prairie Chick sent me these photos of Berry Boy and Prairie Hero while they were playing at her house.  And by *playing*, I mean holding a UFC championship on her trampoline…

 IMG_2520 IMG_2531  IMG_2535 IMG_2553 IMG_2556 IMG_2559 IMG_2564 IMG_2566 

and here I thought you had to get pay-per-view for that kind of entertainment…

These guys are terrific friends.  They can amuse themselves for hours with nothing more than a couple of sticks.  They rarely fight with each other (like *argue* fight, since they obviously fight…) and I think they just really really love each other.

I love their friendship, and Berry Boy is coming to the realization that some friends are better influences than others.  I love watching him grow in ways like this – he’s starting to notice that he gets into trouble more with certain friends, and we’ve been having lots of conversations about how we need to make good choices even when the people we like aren’t making good choices.  And I by no means think that Berry Boy is always influenced into bad choices…I’m more than aware that he makes his own bad choices with no outside influence at all.

Be that as it may, he has started to realize the effect that some of his friends might have on him.

But Prairie Hero, well that’s a different story.  In Berry Boy’s words, Prairie Hero “never makes bad choices”.  Like, ever.  And I’m sure that Prairie Chick just spewed her coffee over that one.  But to his credit, those two boys rarely get into trouble together. 

And that’s a special friendship.  I hope that they’re friends for a very long time.

IMG_2519

5 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

That is great stuff! I love watching boys be boys! Every little guy needs a good pal:)

Chris said...

so? Did you spew PC? Inquiring minds are waiting :) Very fun to watch them grow and think through this stuff.

Unknown said...

I came, I laughed, I spewed, I cried. =)

Precious, precious post. I'm just all choked up at every turn today. Friends are such a gift from the Lord and I am grateful today and always for my own dear friends and for precious friends for my precious kids.

Tracey said...

Yeah, choked me up, too, and I don't even know those dear dear boys.

Dawn said...

Friends like that are few and far between and you are a wise mama to recognize that friendship and encourage it. As the mom of teens, I can tell you that it is absolutely necessary to start talking about choices in friendship when they are still young.

Be blessed!