Wednesday, June 9, 2010

BOOT CAMP!!

This is the summer that I want to do some new things – I want to run trails, often; I want to run lots with my friends instead of alone; I want to try new races and distances; I want to have fun.

Now, with the trouble in my hip, this hasn’t gotten off to a tremendous start.  I was hoping to run the 30km race here in June but that’s not going to happen.  However, trail running will definitely be happening if it ever dries up enough to get out there, and friends are almost always available.  I’m pumped.

Yesterday I happened to find out that there is going to be a Boot Camp starting next week!  I’ve been wanting to do this since last summer but no one around here offers stuff like that.  But now there’s a girl in town who’s a personal trainer, and she’s going to put one on.  I’m so excited, and you can bet that I’m already signed up.

So starting on Tuesday next week, I’ll be measured and weighed and I’ll be having someone to kick my a** all over the place.  Can’t wait to feel the burn!  I’m just so excited to be doing something different and to challenge myself in a new way.  It’s gonna be FUN.

I’ve also been finding out about lots of cool races that are happening in the city but that I never knew existed.  And while they’re not going to work out this year, you can bet that they’ll be on the calendar for next year:

  • The Bridge City Duathlon in April – run 3k/bike 20k/run 3k.  I found out about this way too late do be able to do it, but I’m for sure going to do it next year.  I love biking, and I obviously love running, but I hate swimming, so this is the perfect event for me!
  • The Mogathon 30k in June – new distance for me, but it won’t be happening this year due to my untraining.  But next year, I will be able to use the half marathon that I just ran as a great buildup to this race.  I’m already excited.
  • The Saskatoon Urban Adventure Race in June – I would be doing this one this year, but unfortunately it falls on the same day as our town’s Street Fair, and I am heading up the 5k fun that we hold in town.  Really too bad, because I think this would be a lot of fun.  Definitely next year, and I’m pretty sure I can pressure my friend Genine into doing it with me.

Still on my mind for this year is the Emperor’s Challenge – this will require me heading out to visit my parents in BC, but might be worth the trip.  And I would get to run it with my 19 (20?) yr old nephew, who I love.  And by run it *with* him, I mean we would be running the same race, only he would be running it much, much faster than me.  The kid is much faster than he was 6 years ago when I would patiently jog along and he would try not to throw up.  Might be the long legs.  And the fact that he’s a boy.  Who’s 19(ish).  But still, it would be a lot of fun, and a totally new challenge for me.

So here’s to an exciting summer!

No comments: