Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Epic

I had some great momentum in the week before the week before Easter.  I think I logged 22miles that week, and I felt great.  I had every intention of running the same mileage or more last week (Easter) and it of course dissolved into a cloud of travel and chocolate.

That week started out very promising, with an easy 3miler on Tuesday and a surprise 7.5miler on Wednesday – I had only intended to run 6miles that day but I was feeling so good that I extended it to 7.5.  It was a nice, if rare, gift.  But then we travelled 1,100Km (or so) on Friday, and the running that I planned to do while we were away kind of evaporated into a chocolate haze.  I managed to finally run an easy 4miler on Monday, and then we travelled back home Tuesday (yesterday).

However, I did have a nice visit with family and my nephew is trying to coerce me into coming back to do this race.  He’s run it twice, and from what he described and the pictures that he showed me, it would be a totally epic race.  Pretty much run up the mountain and then run down the mountain, and try not to keel over while doing it.  It fits in with my whole “Become a Trail Runner” thing, plus it would be so fun to run with him.  Although by “with” him I mean we would be running the same race, only he would be running it much, much faster than me.  Which kind of sucks because there was a time when I would patiently jog  and he would try to keep up.  Of course, he was 12 at the time and shorter.  Now the guy is 18 and tall.  Kids.  Who lets them keep growing up anyway?

Anyway, it might be worth going back for later this summer.  The price is right, and it may be the last chance I will have to run it with my nephew since he’s heading off for higher learning this Fall.  I’m pretty sure the race will be hard enough to make me actually puke while running - if I don’t completely pass out first, but I’m also pretty sure I would cross that finish line with a huge, delirious smile on my face.  Right before I collapse.  I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

Suzy said...

Puke! Puke! Puke!

Seriously though. What a GREAT plan!

Chris said...

sounds lovely... I would WAY rather run on trails. I hear you on travels, chocolate and the absence of running. Ugh. Just posted on said troubles. Ugh.