Monday, October 12, 2009

Thankful, Health Edition

23. Today, I am thankful that my Dad made it through the night.  We got a call from my brother yesterday morning that Dad had been taken to the hospital Saturday night for stroke-like symptoms, and then another call Sunday after church that things were going very poorly.  24. I am thankful that the risky treatment that they gave was effective and didn’t cause a more massive stroke, 25. I am thankful that my oldest brother lives close to my parents and was therefore able to be with my Mom the whole time at the hospital, and 26. I’m thankful that Dad can kind of talk today and respond to the people around him.

27.  On a lighter note, I’m thankful for Pumpkin Pie

28.  And Saskatoon Berry Pie

29.  And stuffing

30.  And turkey

31.  And mashed potatoes

32.  And gravy

33.  And a clean house

34.  And the husband who has helped to clean it, and to keep it clean

35.  But mostly I’m thankful for my family – my husband, my boys, my siblings, my parents, my in-laws, and all the friends around us who feel like family.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my dear friend. I just saw your "stress reliever" comment at dailymile and wondered if someone was sick. I am SO sorry. I will be praying for your dad and for you. ((((hugs))))

Chris said...

also thankful to hear your Dad is improving, and being cared for by family members. And if you need help later taking care of #'s 28, 30, 31 and 32, just call. ;)

MCM Mama said...

Glad your dad is doing ok! Hope he heals quickly.

Suzy said...

Oh sheesh. That is so stressful. I prayed for him while I ran today.

Dawn said...

So sorry to hear about your dad but thankful he is doing better. I'm sure it is very frustrating for you to be away from him and the rest of your family during this time. Praying for you, friend!

Berry Girl said...

Thank you so much guys - it sounds like he's doing much better. They've moved him out of ICU and into a "regular" ward. His right side was paralyzed but is gaining back some strength now, and his sense of humour seems to be intact. As far as I know, they still don't know where the blockage is/was, so they're still doing lots of scans and stuff. We're very thankful, and I'm just trying to work out if and when I can get out there to see him. It's a 12hr drive from us, so the logistics are a bit sticky with kids and birthdays and school and BGuy's work...we'll see. Thanks for all your prayers - they mean a lot.