Yes. Four shots of espresso. And it did NOTHING to dent my fatigue Tuesday while I was in the city with both the boys trying to do all of Berry Boy’s Back To School shopping. At that moment, I could not figure out why on earth it is so freakin’ difficult to go to the city with the boys.
I figured it out on Wednesday.
Wednesday, I went back to the city sans Berry Baby. Just with my big guy. And I discovered that the problem is in fact the little guy. Shopping is truly more relaxing when you don’t have an overactive toddler standing up in the shopping cart seat trying to jump to your arms when you are five steps away trying to find a size 12 shoe for his brother that looks cool.
Berry Boy and I had a lovely morning together. We finished up his shopping, got him a Back To School haircut, saw his Dad at work, got a few groceries, and STILL made it back to pick up Berry Baby around noon. Incredible.
It also made me realize that doing things alone with Berry Boy is a good thing for him and me. He had a morning of my undivided attention, and I was much less crabby (and maybe, just maybe, a little…fun?) since I didn’t have to catch leaping toddlers who refuse to sit in shopping carts for more than a nano-second.
But back to the espresso.
After I had downed my Venti four shot macchiato on Tuesday, we made it (finally – I totally messed up last time and missed our original appointment a month and a half ago, and this was the first available time I could get in after that fiasco) to the Pediatrician to discuss Berry Baby’s inability to sleep more than two hours in a row at night. I love the pediatrician.
We agreed to put Berry Baby back on his reflux meds, but we also both agreed that it was a mixture of a medical problem and a bad sleep habit problem.
So, the plan is that once he’s been back on his meds for a week or two and the reflux has settled down, I will tackle the sleeping issues. Which will likely mean moving Berry Boy to another room temporarily, or that Berry Guy and Berry Boy will be camping in the tent for a few nights.
Should be loads of fun.
I’ve been doing a little research on Sleep Training for toddlers, but any tidbits of wisdom are appreciated. As are virtual hugs. And real ones. And coffee.
Which brings me to running.
You may notice I am not doing too much of that as of late. I’m feeling a bit of a slump, which is highly unusual. Normally, when something like this happens, it’s a good thing to sign up for a race, or pick up some new shoes or shorts or something to motivate yourself.
So, I am signed up for a race – my favorite race, which is a 10k up at a nearby resort. I head up there every Fall with three other girlfriends that I don’t get to hang with very often. We go up Friday, stay the night, do the run on Saturday, putz around, and have an amazing supper at this fabulous little restaurant that’s on our way home. So that alone should be motivating me. But it isn’t. So I also picked up new shoes at my favorite running store’s Stinky Sneaker Sale. And they’re awesome shoes. But I bought them almost a week ago , and I’ve only run in them twice. TWICE! That’s really unheard of for me. Buying new shoes is like buying new cereal – I always have to try it right away.
Even the two runs that I’ve done in the last week have been kind of *meh*. This summer I’ve been feeling like a superhero after my runs, and this week not at all. More like a superhero without any real powers or motivation. It’s discouraging.
And, that’s probably all I have to say.
8 comments:
OMGoodness... I wouldn't be able to function with my shaking hands if I had 4 espresso shots!
Only two runs this week? That would be a miracle for me!
{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}
I do remember those sleepless nights. My only real advice is to decide what your strategy is going to be (YOU DO know your child better than anyone, despite what others may try to tell you) and then STICK to it! Eventually, the consistency and routine WILL win.
Oh... and...
{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Do I need to mail more TX coffee - the caffeinated kind this time???
aww, thanks Dawn. You're a really good encourager.
yes, consistency is definitely key. I'm counting down the days until we buckle down and get to it.
and coffee? really? I'd never say no (lol)
Next time try 4 shots in a grande, just so it's not diluted so much with milk. Maybe it'll go straight to your brain that way.
I'm ashamed.
Email me your address! ;)
lol Suzy - I did exactly that the very next day when I went in with just BBoy...I'm a little frightened that it would even occur to both of us...
I'm baaaaack. And I need to run. Tomorrow. Cuz I've spent more hours in a vehicle in the last month than I care to until... um... Christmas? *sigh*
So call me. Before I pester you. You may regret saying you lost your motivation. Cuz I think it bit me in the butt. (or is this my urgent desire to spend at least one hour without the three men in my life that mean so much to me (that I haven't been without for a moment since last wednesday) *whew* And call me when that TX coffee comes. Or before. Way before.
Ha ha laughing about the quad grande....which happens to be my fave drink....quad grande skinny vanilla latte.
I am totally ROOTING for you about the sleep issue!
Here's my double-cent's worth ('cause I have twin 2-year olds!):
You will get through this! Whatever strategy you decide to use, B.Baby will not become "damaged" in any way; he will survive a bad night and so will you.
And then you'll get some sleep, yes you will!
OH, and do you have someone to call in the middle of the night if you feel like you're losing sanity? If not, I'll volunteer. Fresh voice...could help...and I've already lost my head a few times, too!
Just checking out your blog - thanks for stopping by mine.
I haven't read a whole lot, but is the baby's reflux at all allergy related? I ask because my oldest was allergic to dairy and the kid COULD.NOT.SLEEP if he got dairy in any way (including through breastmilk).
Hope the meds do the trick!
And I hear you on how much easier it is to do stuff with only one boy at a time. Even my difficult child is manageable when it's just me and him.
Post a Comment