It’s Berry Boy’s birthday today – he turns 7. Yep, seven years ago today at this time I had been in labour for 7 and a half hours, and I still had another ten hours to go, three of which involved me pushing. That’s right. Three hours. Of pushing. It still haunts me.
Anyway, I told him that we would take him and two friends mini golfing in the city, and then I didn’t plan much after that thought.
So when I realized that there would have to be cake in some form for it to be a legitimate birthday party, I figured hey! I’ll just make cupcakes because they’re easy!
I forgot that I don’t make good cupcakes.
I mean, they taste good, they just aren’t pretty.
Observe:
this is what about 60% of my mini cupcakes looked like after I pried them out of my non-stick pan…
and about 20% of the regular sized ones came out topless like this…
But I soldiered on, thinking a little icing would cure all most ills, and I iced the cupcakes with green and blue-green icing like this…
How’s that for a striking color variation. What? You can’t tell the difference? Yeah, me neither.
I wanted to pipe the icing on so that it looked all nice and pretty.
Well, I piped it.
I think the sprinkles help, don’t you?
When I was done and frustrated and depressed, I ate a couple mini cupcakes with some leftover butter cream icing.
Ok, I ate a few.
Ok, I lost track, and they were slathered in icing.
Yes, I did hit the point where I started to feel sick. Yes, I was filled with regret. Yes, I did have one more cupcake top after I reached that sick point.
But I think it’s going to be ok, because I ate a salad after my stomach settled down. It even had some cucumber on it. That’s got to cancel out a few of those broken cupcakes…
6 comments:
I got nauseous just thinking about a salad sitting on top of those yummy cupcakes in your stomach... somehow, it makes it worse. I would have felt better if you had ended with... "washed it all down with coffee"... because those things go together.
I'm extremely proud of you, however, for having TWO salads in the course of one week! In your home, no less! Way to soldier on.
oh Chris, obviously there was coffee being consumed with all that icing and cupcake.
And would you believe I've had at least FOUR salads? At home??? And I had to buy more lettuce, NOT because it wasted away in my fridge and liquified, but because I ATE IT?????
I know.
It stuns me too.
Actually, I was expecting it to look worse based on your narrative. ;-)
The next time you lose the tops like that, just ice it like a layer cake and put the top back on. Or, take a small spoonful out of the bottom, fill it with lemon pie filling (or frosting if it's already made), put the top back on and dust it with powdered sugar. I like to call those cupcake suprises!
And the crumbled ones? Mix with a litte of the frosting (just enought to bind it all together) and roll into 1 inch balls. Then, roll in cocoa powder or jimmies/sprinkles. Ta-da! Cake balls! Then you could have said you made cupcakes AND cake balls! LOL
I worked in a bakery where the owner was extremely picky about the appearance of the baked goods (as much so as the taste) and we regularly had to "discard" unfrosted cakes that cracked, etc. He developed a recipe where we would crumble the broken cakes and the crumbs would be reused in a new cake batter . "Double Cakes." I've never tried it on my own, though.
And, I'm with Chris... salad on top of it? Not right. I'd have just added a little more caffeine to the sugar rush and called it a day! LOL
oh I seriously considered the cake ball option :) In the end, I formed the larger *good* cupcakes to form a "7" and lined the small *good* ones underneath it...for sure not my best effort ever, but hey, they're boys! And they're 7! They don't care!! (yay for boys)
and a great time was had by all. the end. :)
Maybe sprinkle cake balls on your salad next time?
I laughed SO HARD at the lettuce "wasting away in the fridge and liquified"... because it happens ALL the time around here.
Post a Comment