Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Race Day

3369034477_f91f68fba9

Well, Sunday is the big day.  Half Marathon day.  Otherwise known as The Day of Berry Girl’s Major Suck Fest.  I know, this blog hasn’t been all sunshine and lollipops – I promise it will get more positive when I quit running after this half and start my new career as a chocolate inhaling couch potato.

That being said, I figured that I better come up with some kind of race strategy for the big day.  So here it is.

I will get up at some totally indecent hour (like 5am)

I will drink coffee

I will eat peanut butter toast and drink milk

I will drink more coffee

I will get dressed (outfit to be determined)

I will prepare some GuBrew, or some Nuun, to drink on the way to the city.

I will probably leave for the city by 6am, since the race starts at 7am.  This should give me half an hour to park, cry that the Starbucks located directly across from the race venue is not open yet, hit a portapotty, and line up for the race.

I will drag my sorry butt through 13.1 miles, or 21km, whichever one works for you.  During the race, it will be 13.1 miles, because it sounds shorter.  After the race it will be 21km, because it sounds more impressive.

I will try to run the entire course, with the exception of the water stations, which I will walk through because I am incapable of running and swallowing at the same time.

I will probably use my iPod, so that I can retreat deep into myself when it becomes too uncomfortable.  Which will probably be at mile 2.

I will try not to cry.

I will also try to not kiss the person who puts the finisher medal around my neck because I will be so relieved to be done.

Post-race, I plan to skip the *treat* tent and forgo the bananas and oranges and yogurts and will instead hop over to the mall across the street where I will purchase a pint of Ben & Jerry’s from Safeway and an Quad Grande Americano Misto from Starbucks.  I will then get in my car and drive home eating the Ben & Jerry’s and drinking the Americano and will probably throw back a Robax Platinum or two.

I’ll let you know how it all goes.

1 comment:

MCM Mama said...

Love your race plan. ;o) Hope it goes well!