Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Watch Your Mouth

100_5606

I do believe that we have reached the point in our lives where we need to be a *bit* more careful about what we say when the boys are in earshot.

I was on the phone the other day talking to a friend (I think it was Chris), and we were discussing Berry Boy’s upcoming hockey game and who would be on his team.  I was rattling off names, and then I said “and there’s the kid who pushes the chair around on the ice…I’m not sure who he is, but his mom is kind of a big lady, and she sounds a bit like a man…” – NOT, of course, trying to be mean, but just trying to describe who this person was.  Berry Boy was playing off in the playroom, and I didn’t think anything of it.

Until the next day at his hockey game.

We’re in the change room, and as I’m plunking Berry Boy’s helmet on his head, the aforementioned mom came in to grab a jersey for her kid.  She said something to our coach, and then walked out the door.

AS she’s walking out the door, Berry Boy looks at me and says “You’re right mom.  She does sound like a man”.

I’m frantically making “SHUSH!!!” motions with my hands and praying fervently that she was far enough out of the room at the time that she didn’t hear.

And then we had a long discussion about how there are some things that maybe we might say at home but we definitely do not repeat in public.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I think this relates to why sometimes I have a cling-on when it's time to visit with friends- the things Mom says can be verrrry interesting. It's made me more selective about which things make it out of my mouth, and which ones just bounce in my head and then on to the trash heap. Some are not worth it. I'm with you... tactfulness and sensitivity and kindness can go hand in hand as we teach these little men of ours.

Tracey said...

ACK!

Suzy said...

Oh nooooo.....!!! I'm kinda curious of what the man-voice sounds like though. Probably Suzy in the morning pre-coffee, post-child-wake-me-up-with-barf.

Unknown said...

oh, girl. you're preaching to the choir. And I finally got to meet Frankielynn yesterday at Costco. Nice person, strange experience.