I’ve been having a Rebecca Lynn Howard kind of week(s):
“I need a vacation from my life; Me and my husband, we need a wife; Somebody who’s sole ambition is laundry…”
I would take a picture of the overflowing pile of laundry in my laundry room waiting for me to fold it (yes, it’s clean, and yes, it’s mostly sitting on the floor), but it’s too depressing for me. And embarrassing. It’s been there for over a week, and I keep having to go rummage through it for (semi)matching socks and clean underwear. How much do maids cost anyway?
I don’t think I’m overly busy (because I do my absolute best to NOT be overly busy – it stresses me out) – I just don’t seem to be getting anything done.
For example, I had to host Book Club last night, and I didn’t have time to actually “clean” the floor, so I spot cleaned all the really sticky obvious spots and prayed that the sunlight hitting the floor would be more forgiving by 8pm when the girls would show up. I am such a domestic goddess.
And speaking of book club, I went all out and prepared lots of good coffee and espresso, because I know we’re all coffee lovers (for the most part), and even sacrificially ground the last of my Guatemalan coffee beans (gulp), and only two girls showed up (out of 7) and one drank tea and the other had a latte, so I totally WASTED that whole pot of coffee. I could cry. I will be sending Berry Guy on a coffee reconnaissance mission in the city after work today.
On top of it all…I am still not seeing a whole lot of GREEN outside, and heard a rumor today that more snow is expected tomorrow, so I think I may just stay in bed. Until next Spring. Or until the half marathon on the 24th.
Which brings me to my next *topic* – ONLY 12 MORE DAYS UNTIL THE HALF MARATHON!!!! I did my last long run on Sunday (Mother’s Day) and it went really well. I plugged in my iPod and put on an audio book (“Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer) and got completely lost in the story for 2 hours. What a great way to pass a long run. The miles literally ticked by and I was transported into the Alaskan wilderness and hitchhiked through through parts of the US as I followed Chris McCandless on his strange journey. The entire time I was trying to assess his mental stability – I’m still not done – but at least I didn’t have to assess my own for running just under 13miles.
Regardless, the long run bought me 2 hours of no whiny kids or messy house or unfolded laundry. The great escape. It was bliss. And after that bliss and my cold water bath for my legs (gulp) I devoured not one but two helpings of sweet biscuit shortcake smothered in fresh, sugared strawberries and slathered with whipped cream. I should correct that. I devoured two large helpings of whipped cream (with some strawberries and shortcake). Yumm. Because, let’s be honest. Sometimes, Mother’s day is only going to be what you are going to make of it. Sometimes, you are not married to the guy who will plan you a breakfast in bed, or have bought flowers, or who will make arrangements so that you don’t have to cook. And that’s ok, it really is. Because he’s good at other things. So sometimes you just have to make the day what it’s going to be, and not complain. Which means that if you want strawberry shortcake, you will have to make it yourself. And eat two helpings.
So, to conclude the randomness of this post, I will leave you with my new motto…
:End ramble
6 comments:
the picture sums things up quite nicely. Love it.
I hear you on the not getting stuff done. Since me and Ralph were chummy last night, I found my dh using spray nine to swab the whole bathroom on his lunch break. oops. And sweep the 3 days of crumbs/crispies under the table. oops again. I have a good excuse today, but where was I before that? Oh yeah, pinned under the laundry pile and agonizing over organizing the new closet space. ps.- come see my design and analyze it with me when I don't feel so gross, kay?
it's been that kind of a week for me too and I don't get it. I mean I'm HERE. I'm WORKING. And nothing seems to be getting done. Argh. I feel like a hamster on a spinning wheel.
I hear ya, girl friend! The end of the school year crazies are upon me - all the regular "stuff" with all the extra programs, concerts, luncheons, etc., added on top of that schedule.
And you already know how I feel about laundry. I've got a post going up later that might be of help. (Not specifically about laundry, but housekeeping in general.)
And the coffee wasted - almost enough to make me cry! I've been known to pour my favorite "leftover" coffee into a a glass jar and stick it in the fridge to reheat by the cup (slowly is the trick I've learned) and drink the next day. Not quite as good as fresh brewed, but much better than pouring it down the drain!
I'm putting some Texas coffee in the mail to PC this afternoon. Maybe she'll be nice and share a cup or two with you! ;-)
Hope today is filled with sunshine for you! Be blessed!
Oh, I hear yah on the mothers day thingy:) I ate almost a whole box of cookies and a bag of cherries I bought and told my man I wasn't sharing because it was the closest I got to a mother's day gift! LOL!
Oh I wish I could have helped you with the coffee!
AND laundry!! Well mine is no longer down stairs but covering my living room floor waiting to be put away... Gotta teach these kids how to fold!
Chris, you have the barfs AGAIN? I remember when my kids were your kids' ages, we would get that all the time over here too. You're just building your immunity up. It will end. I promise.
Berry Girl. My heart broke for you yesterday when I heard you were without coffee. I think I may have been tempted to keep the day-old coffee, and nuke the stink out of it and drink the coffee sludge the next day.
I have problems.
Oh! And I have a laundry solution. Buy really yummy-smelling fabric softener (Downy, april rain scent) and then you'll want to do laundry because it smells so great.
Oh, I have a coffee roast recipe to help next time you have extra coffee!!
Post a Comment